Author Topic: bamboo heads on 4-footed shafts  (Read 25388 times)

Dustybaer

bamboo heads on 4-footed shafts
« on: January 14, 2007, 01:41:17 pm »
since i didn't want to hijack belabear's thread, here are some pics of the progress:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:44:02 pm by Dustybaer »

Larebow

Re: bamboo heads on 4-footed shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:43:23 pm »
nice heads! how sharp can one get bamboo?

Dustybaer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:45:56 pm »
not sure, but definitely not as sharp as stone or glass.  what i'd like to do with the next set is temper the heads before i mount them and see what difference it makes.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:57:21 pm »
Anyone that works with bamboo backed bows knows that bamboo can get razor sharp.
   Marius, Those are nice heads and arrows.  The head would be good for small game and possibly deer sized game. Primitive folks, in the past and today use bamboo(or cane) heads sucessfully.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 02:10:39 pm »
  Marius-Bamboo can get razor sharp as Pat said. I've made knifes from it like some primitive folk' did and heads too. Taken small game and a deer with them. I heat tempered them first and then sharpened them with a file and finally rubbed the edge lightly with broken glass-if you dont think they get sharp, hope you never get cut with one-to the bone bro' !...nice arras.........bob

Dustybaer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:22:25 pm »
thanks guys.  too bad bowhunting is illegal in germany.  i'd like to try these heads on some bunnies  ;D

kowechobe, do you think it's better to temper first, then shape and then sharpen?  or would it work as well if i shaped them first, then tempered and then sharpened?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 04:26:08 pm »
  Marius--I tempered them first, but I think if you shape them-temper-sharpen , you will be ok............bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 07:11:32 pm »
  Like Bob and Pat said.Boo can get scary sharp.When I was younger we would split a piece and use one side to fillet fish.You can also make a nasty self defence weapon by cutting a 2' by 24" piece, wrapping a handle area with tape and then splitting the rest in quarters length wise.When hitting an object or person it spreads into 8 sharp cutting edges.These were used in the far east.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »
Good lookin' arrows, Marius. I've seen documentaries of Papuan natives cutting each other's hair and slicing up pigs with bamboo knives, looked like they were razor sharp. Eddie, that sounds kinda ouchie lol.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dustybaer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:06:06 am »
thanks guys.  now a question about tempering.  i was gonna bake them in my wives oven (unless you have a better suggestion, which i'm sure my wife would appreciate  ;D).  what kind of times and temperatures do you recommend?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 08:18:32 am »
Dustybaer what do the weigh?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 12:37:09 pm »
  Marius--Dont know about oven-never did it-too risky with wife. Tempered mine with a mapp gas torch or propane-some used a campfire. I got them slowly to a very slightly burned color over a long time--VERY SLIGHTLY BURNED--just some surface ash that can be sanded off easily--made them hard as h###.............bob

Dustybaer

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 12:46:36 pm »
pappy, sorry i did not weigh them before i mounted them.  i'm making another one as we speak and i'll make sure i weigh it first.  since i make them using nothing but sandpaper, it takes me a while to finish one ;D

thanks bob, that's why i was asking about alternatives.  i thought about my heat gun too, but i can't find the friggin' thing ;D  maybe i should join the "big project" thread and clean up my basement.

edit: pappy, i just weighed the arrows and they are 27 to 28 grams (416 to 432 grains)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:54:43 pm by Dustybaer »

DBernier

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 01:28:58 pm »
Pappy/Dusty, in another thread I showed a cane arrow with a bamboo head I did. It was light, about 90 grains. To up the weight I inserted somw 1/32 dia solder into the hollow portion of the shaft behind the head. This brought the total weight of the 31 inch overall length arrow to 495 grains. You can vary this weight by the length of the solder pieces you put in the end of the shaft to compensate for cane dia, weight etc. I used CA on the edge of the head and sanded it to a fairly good edge. As indicated I think it only good for small game. I do think it would take a deer with a well placed shot in a vital organ.

Dick Bernier

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dustybaer

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 01:34:11 pm »
dick, you know it's your fault that i ever started with bamboo heads.  ;D   i did some searches with google but could hardly find any images, so i decided to just try and make some myself.  but it all started with this very head you just showed.