Author Topic: bamboo heads on 4-footed shafts  (Read 25446 times)

DBernier

Re: bamboo heads on 4-footed shafts
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 02:24:25 pm »
Sorry Dustybaer  :(  I'll have Amy beat me with a wet noodle when she comes home later. By the way this arrow, at 12 yards penetrated a foam block 7 inch's from a 53# Osage self bow. It is good to do these things as we keep creating brain cells. At my age I need all I can get   ;D

Dick, working on more brain cells.

DBernier

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 09:02:58 am »
Dustbaer, If I can find the other point I made it is a good show and tell. I used two halves of bamboo like the first point and on the edge of each I sanded/filed a grove. Into this grove I inserted a razor blade parallel to the edge of the bamboo. I glued it together with CA. Not very primitive but you could shave with it. ;D. I'll look for it today. I did not attach it to a bamboo shaft, but I may.

Dick Bernier

Dustybaer

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 01:10:28 pm »
sounds very interesting, i'm looking forward to the picture.

not sure if you can tell by the pictures, but mine are not laminated.  i was thinking about it though.

sbartels

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 11:52:33 am »
Bamboo arrowheads MUST be killers - because primitive peoples esp. in the Pacific islands depended on them quite a lot for survival. They also used hardwoods for arrowheads.

It surely is important what type of bamboo you use, there are so many varieties!

Hillbilly and others: Rick Williamson reports that in Vanuatu bamboo knives were used during intiation ceremonies to circumcise the boys.
Don't try this at home !!! LOL

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 12:58:41 pm »
  sbartels,Oh! Man,  you made me pucker up with that last tid bit of information. :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 04:06:42 pm »
  CIRCUMCISE WITH BAMBOO--YAHOO------HOY BOY!!!!!!..........bob

Dustybaer

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 04:33:19 pm »
thanks stefan, you really gave this thread a new twist  ;D

sbartels

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 01:57:32 pm »
Dustybear, be sure to bring some bamboo heads to the archery meeting at Neubrunn.
Do you temper the bamboo from both sides or just from what used to be the outside of the pole?

We got hurricane winds here now, the timbers in the attic are creaking...
spooky.
all train services have stopped, people are told to stay indoors ...

Survival gear ready in the basement.
Japanese friend of ours who lives in Germany says: Yeah, it's just like the typhoons I used to know in Japan.
Gee, tropical storms in Germany and not one flake of snow all winter!

No Mr Bush, there is no climate change and it was a wise decision to staff the environmental department with industry tycoons and Big Oil executives....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 08:10:22 pm »
  Damn that sucks ,But gas is cheap. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

DBernier

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 07:54:57 am »
Dustybaer, still looking for that arrowhead. I haven't forgot you. When I find it I will mount it. Circumsized?  :o God I'm glad I did not know what was going on. Whew!!!!!!

Dick Bernier

Dustybaer

bamboo heads update
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 02:22:45 pm »
well, I shot the arrows you see in the picture below to see how they group.  the arrows are of different length, spine and material.  the only thing they have in common is the weight, approx. 27g (410gr).  since i can only shoot about 10-12 yards in my back yard,  i can't judge the flight to well, but at least i can see how they group and they grouped well.  the narrow boo point split lengthwise on the first shot, so i'm making a new one as we speak, but the wider one did amazingly well.  actually it hit dead center three times in a row.  what's amazing is it's not FOC it's ROC (rear of center) despite the mahogany foot.

edit:  i forgot to mention, i weighed one of the tips and came up with approx. 1g (15 grains).  no wonder the arrows com out ROC.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 06:26:23 pm by Dustybaer »

Dustybaer

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 08:25:18 am »
field tested the tips.  pretty sturdy.  this one penetrated that limb and about 1/4" was sticking out the other side.  couldn't pull it out, so broke it off.  i can imagine it would have gone right thru a rabbit or squirrel (if i could hit one, that is  ;D ).

[attachment deleted by admin]

DBernier

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 12:56:20 pm »
Dustybaer, I cannot find that other head, but I will make another one. Probably in the next two weeks. Your penetration test on that limb kinda squares out with my test. I suppose they would "do the job" if necessary. To Eddie's point, they can be very, very sharp if care is taken on the edges.

Dick Bernier

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 02:15:13 pm »
Love this thread. Never even thought about bamboo heads before. Used bone and steel. By the way, how come they don't let you hunt with a bow in Germany? I have seen this in several threads. Do they allow hunting at all? Just curious.

Dustybaer

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 07:56:02 pm »
agbowyer, yes, hunting with rifles is permitted and we have the same pro and con discussions here:  animal rights versus hunting.  hunting is viewed as a very elitarian sport, probably from former times, when it was reserved for aristocracy.  it is still very expensive to get the hunting license and it takes a couple of years to get it.  i think the reason it's prohibited is the (wrong) impression that bow and arrow doesn't kill an animal fast enough.

dick, don't worry about the point, unless you wanted to make another one anyway, in which case i'd be very much interested in seeing it  ;D