Author Topic: deer  (Read 6548 times)

Offline robby

deer
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:40:07 pm »
I'm a new guy, and have some stuff in the trader forum. One of the fellows there asked to see some pictures of my bows and things. This is the only picture I have showing my equipment right now, I'll get some more of, just the equipment, later. This one shows the lunatic your dealing with anyway, its about fifteen years old. I've never been much for pictures, this time my wife just happen to have a camera when I arrived home. The bow is Osage, 85lb's., 73" lg., with elk antler string knocks, English style, the arrow is either red or white ash, don't remember, both are great arrow woods, the broad head is fashioned from am old two man cross-cut saw.

Offline John K

Re: deer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:08:21 pm »
Nice deer ! Would love to hear the story behind kill.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:36:04 pm »
very nice,and yes a story to go with that buck has to be interesting.looks like some beautiful country your in.

oh yea, DAMN boy you pull an 85 lb bow :o
i aint never done that in my life. 70 lbs is the most i have ever done and that was before my shoulders got bamd

peace,
                                                                      tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »
saw that picture in traditional bowhunter mag. awesome sounds like a story
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 08:16:34 pm »
I'm sure their's some good memories in that picture Rob, and that's a fine buck!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:52:22 pm »
80 lbs you got my vote for bad a@$. dang nice deer.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline robby

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 08:57:27 pm »
Hunter,yeah thats the one, my oldest boy sent that in, I was kind of embarrassed, but he meant well and a fine young man.
cowboy, sailordad, There are some good memories there, I'll tell you fellows how it went, but right now, I just got home from shooting, and I don't mind telling you, I'm wooped! Manyana.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 12:23:02 pm »
ya id be whooped too if i just got back from shooting monster weight bows like that ;D

ill stick to my 50lb bows
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 06:14:44 pm »
Lookin foreward to the pics and story.It will be a great Benefit to us all,to have the input from your experience.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 11:10:39 pm »
yeah, im 16 and rather large, football player and powerlifter, and i only shoot 55 lbs. i would like to shoot a heavy bow like that. looks awsome.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline robby

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:27:11 pm »
  First, let me say, I am no bad-a$$, tough guy. When that pic was taken, I was 5'10", and about a buck and a half, since then I have lost a little altitude, gained a little latitude, but still, pretty much, have the same attitude. I am very opinionated, but when it comes to archery, I try to maintain the good natured banter and give and take you might experience with Confound shooters at the local range, besides, I'm outnumbered about 60:1, Hah! Reminds me of a time at our archery club. A big fellow was asking about my equipment, asked if he could draw my bow, always willing to share in the promotion of traditional archery, have at it says I. Well, as expected, he got it back to around the sixty pound range and gave up the ghost. Maybe a little embarrassed, I don't know, he was considerably larger than me, anyway, he starts going on about that, You must be some kind of bad-a$$, bet you don't have any trouble at the local saloon, etc. stuff. Honestly I wasn't sure where this was all going, so I looked him in the eye, smiled and with as much humility as I could intone, said, well I don't know about all that tough guy, bar fighting stuff, but I could probably pull your arm off! Got a lot of laughs all around. That's the way I like it!
   When I started out, I had a love for the sport and no guidance, so I went to the local library and happened upon a copy of "Hunting With the Bow and Arrow" by Saxton pope. That has been the single most influential thing in forming my opinions and taking the directions I have taken in this sport. I have my own copy, and still, to this day, reread portions of that book every year.
  About that hunt, It was a cold, grey day at Lambo Field, oh, wrong venue, sorry. I was in a stalking kind of mood that day, hence the boots. Those are Bean, Maine guide boots, they have the soft gum rubber soles to keep the feet dry, grip pretty good, and are thin enough so I can feel what's under my feet, so I don't put full weight on anything that might snap, the leather uppers tend to deflect weed and prickers without any loud scraping sound you might get from fabric. I don't wear camo, easy now, I'm not saying anyone else should or shouldn't, for me, I don't want to feel like I'm making war on these poor creatures, I just want to kill them and eat them, and use some of their body parts to make better equipment, so that I might do a better job in the killing part. The broad brim hat provides a shade and shadow to the eyes for better viewing, and the band gives a place to stick pieces of weed and such, I also use a bit of burnt cork on the face, well, I guess I do use camouflage, It just doesn't have buttons and zippers Hah! I was hunting a fairly large area adjacent to a woods full of oaks and beech, but hard to hunt on the ground in, because there isn't much under growth, pretty open. Filled with game trails, the area I'm in is goldenrod and such, shin to chest high, broken up by sizable clumps of osier, sumac, and some widely dispersed poplar and other entry level trees. I'm moving little, looking a lot, trying to see them first and make a plan to close with. The deer pictured is the only deer I saw that day, and he pretty much marched in at about thirty yards during one of my, looking a lot, phases. He stopped and was looking behind him and I though there might be a bigger fellow on the way, so I lower myself down at woods speed, thats what I call my movements while stalking, I try to move no faster than the air is moving the environment around me. I'm pretty much a meat hunter, but I still become a bit unhinged at the sight of a nice buck. I figured the buck at hand was better than the one that might be in the bush, so I rise up, draw, Think, and release, The arrow had a good line, but sailed over him, He didn't react much, about as much as you might react if a swallow swooped by your head unexpectedly, I'm not too surprised, I spend a lot of time twisting my string in and out tuning the bow and shooting with my eyes closed, trying to get it as quiet as possible. I'm already back down and chastising myself for thinking too much, I mean, what's all that practice for, other than the pure enjoyment of shooting, Its so when that moment comes, everything just flows along its natural line. I nock-up, completely erase any vestige of what just happened, rock up, draw, anchor and release. It was what I think the Japanese call moo-shin, no mindedness, I knew before the arrow had cleared the bow, it was the perfect shot, every muscle, eye, hands, bow and arrow, were in perfect concert, I watched the arrow all the way in, heard that familiar sound, and knew he was mine now. He bolted, not wildly so, but with the definite mind set, that anywhere but here, is probably a better place to be. I don't think he went more than fifty yards, and the trail was what you would expect from a double lunger. I didn't wait, I recovered my arrow, and went right to him.
   I made my peace with the animal, and gave thanks to our creator, That is important.
That's pretty much it, an average guy, doing what comes natural, more often than not, coming home empty handed, that day I was successful, but even if I had come home empty handed, I think I would still felt I had achieved some measure of success. God bless!
Robby

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 01:19:16 pm »
Great story and a dandy buck :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:24:46 pm »
Thanks for the story Robby. I enjoyed it !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 07:55:34 am »
Nice deer and very good story,thanks for sharing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 08:46:45 am »
You're quite the story teller!...I enjoyed it and appreciate the sharing. You should submit some stories to PA... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...