Author Topic: American bison, horn bow w/sinew(pic update)  (Read 60696 times)

DCM

Re: American bison, horn bow w/sinew(pic update)
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2009, 09:43:38 am »
I can't believe I missed this!  I reckon I should look around, din even realize they had this forum.

Great job Timo, can't wait to go back and read it all thru.

AKAPK

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2009, 11:11:31 pm »
Tim, That Horn is really hard to work flat ,is there a specific distance apart that you made the spiral to cut?

Offline Timo

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2009, 10:31:07 pm »
I layed out a template on a piece of 2" masking tape,on a big miror I had. I then just cut out the pattern,peeled it off the mirror and transfered it to the horn. I just kinda moved it around until I had it the way I thouhgt would work.That is when i sprayed painted it.Peeled off the pattern and cut all the painted area away.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2009, 01:47:50 am »
The  only method  I  had  seen  before  this using horn  was to  cut  it  lengthwise, toward the  tip,  so  the   natural  bend of the  horn ran  lengthwise, I  have  to  wonder if  a  horn  bow made  in  this  manner  (twisted  horn) won't  naturally  twist the  limbs  over  time? Quite  an  amazing  technique  however:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Dusan

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2009, 07:24:30 pm »
Bow looks good , but... your cut stile , Timo is veeery bad. If bow live some time you must be lucky. You  cut all horn lines cros his natural direction. Its same  like  if you cut sinew in smal pieces- or bow wood   cut not in his long line , but cross his width.But who know, maybe you are lucky man? :D

Offline Dusan

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2009, 08:36:25 pm »
Imean somthing like this :

Offline Timo

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2009, 08:13:09 am »
Dusan, I know of a fella that has many bows built this way.....I guess he is a very lucky man, as they are still together. Mine is holding well.Many shots thus far. Hope I saty lucky. ;)

How do we ever accomplish anything if we never try,if we never push the peverbial envelope?

Offline Dusan

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2009, 12:05:51 pm »
I will be happy, if you are right and your bow live for ever ! But this is very contraversal cut stil against all 2000 or more years experiences ... :'( And against logic too). I believe that ours  grand , grand , grand ... fathers was not stupid ;). From another point, this cut was like pray for all of us - because no need buy long horns from Azia (not cheep..) . Relativly smal 30-40cm horn give you long stripe for your bow- haleluja ! O:) In every aspect interesting work.
Long and dont break live for your bow , Timo.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2009, 08:16:23 pm »
I believe that I am understanding Dusan's argument here....but I don't know that it would really matter that much since it is all glued down like Sinew anyways.....Horn is like a Toenail...it is made from (keratin and other proteins) Hair really....consisting of a covering of horn that has growth rings like a Tree...but also Lineal Fibers  surrounding a core of living bone....it's the Covering that We use....and all of the Fibers grow lengthwise with the Horn....so cutting like you did...violates every fiber in the Horns layers....but Hey....if it works...there Ya go!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2009, 12:03:18 am »
I could see where it would be much more important to not cut across the fibers of the horn if it were used on the back on the bow. But on the belly...not so sure. :-\
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Dusan

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2009, 06:00:01 am »
One have problems vith relatively good piece of horn cut in right way in concave of horn. Litle cracs can distroy your bow .Dangerous cracs was mostly in width direction...  Timos work is courious, but i wuldnt made mi bow  in same  way. Many good materials and working hours are here in risk. :o

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:10 pm »
Hi Tim,
Is this bow still shooting? Have you had any ill affects from the cutting technic you used? Is this build along sill update or did you find yourself wishing you did something different.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline seabass

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2013, 10:38:17 am »
Timo hasn't been on pa for a long time.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2013, 08:36:15 am »
Thanks you for the update. I was hoping to see how the bow held up over time. If it worked it really a good way to get the most from a piece of horn.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.