Author Topic: creative imagination and the wood  (Read 13852 times)

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
Re: creative imagination and the wood
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 02:07:26 pm »
its up to you what you make of your life. I did my time on the bus
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

radius

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 02:32:53 pm »
and i did my time in a privately owned vehicle...they're handy, but not as necessary as ppl think...

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 02:49:32 pm »
if you dont mind being that guy who always needs help and is dependent on the good will of others to drag staves out of the woods
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

radius

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 07:32:15 pm »
hey, in canada, friends like to help each other...like today, my friend with a vehicle is going to help me get some staves...and i'm gonna be his friend handing him a case of beer!

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 09:31:26 pm »
true true!!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 09:36:07 pm »
imagine that

a canadian that will work for beer   lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 09:55:34 pm »
imagine that

a canadian that will work for beer   lol

Some Okies would make that same trade, as long as you'll sit and drink one with us :)
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline tombo

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2009, 10:22:14 pm »
I've only been seriously working on bows this year but have been an avocational archaeologist and flint knapper for over a decade. I've always done things that give me an excuse to go out into the brush or on the water and every time I get isolated from humanity, I wonder what it might have been like hundreds...thousands of years ago for a guy living off the land. of course I love to hunt and fish but never got a big "thrill" out of popping a deer with the 0.243. My compound bow is neat but until my curiosity about the local Indians and what wood they may have used got to me, I wasn't hooked on archery.....I am now.
I enjoy getting out into the wilds of S. Texas and seeing what woods might have made good bows.
Working the wood, I try to stay as close to a "primitive" thought" as possible; using sight, feel, sound and intuition as a guide....I like it!
Tom

Offline Postman

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 05:27:02 pm »
I envy those who came to bow building as accomplished craftsman, carpenters, ect....I have very little artistic skill and I am a horrible carpenter. The closest I have come to art  is music, and I say "close" because I was a drummer. ;D

So,  I definitely let the wood guide me but try to influence it a bit. Nothing beats  someone I know who has seen me write, draw, paint a house, or murder a stack of 2x4's with a circular saw and hammer pick up one of my bows and having them say to me "YOU made THAT?  :o"
Something about following that grain with a drawknife or pushing a fade back with a scraper gets my A.D.D. brain slowed enough to make something  cool.  I like going more by feel than measurement, but I  I was always a "measure once, cut twice" kinda guy.....
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline sailordad

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 12:31:31 am »
hey postman i am just the opposite of that
you say your a measure twice cut once type of guy
me i cut it twice and both times it comes up short ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 01:13:28 am »
Sorry guys...I never did the puffing, only the passing. ;)

I did plenty of Da Puffing...and Passing....And Growing........thats what got me to Texas.......No Extraditiion with the North back in the 80's!!!!.......Nuff said about dat!!!!

As for Canadians and Okies working for Beer........SHHHHHHH....dat damned  Yooper's gunna hear Ya!!!!!! Aint no Beer safe around a Yooper....not even Da Skunky Ones............ >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 11:29:53 pm »
here's one thing that i've ALWAYS had a sense of...puff puff...i can feel the glue setting in a joint.  It's hard to explain.   ::) ::)

Offline islandwoodwerker

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 02:42:32 am »
your an artist by the sound of this. Your medium is the wood. Try woodcarving you may get the same feeling.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:38 am »
Sorry guys...I never did the puffing, only the passing. ;)

I did plenty of Da Puffing...and Passing....And Growing........thats what got me to Texas.......No Extraditiion with the North back in the 80's!!!!.......Nuff said about dat!!!!

As for Canadians and Okies working for Beer........SHHHHHHH....dat damned  Yooper's gunna hear Ya!!!!!! Aint no Beer safe around a Yooper....not even Da Skunky Ones............ >:D

Did I hear someone mention beer ;D Preferably the free brand eh ;) As fer da puffing I will plead the 5th ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DCM

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 10:31:27 am »
Looks like I've come to this campfire at a point where I'm libel to burn my fangers.  Oh well, wouldn't be the first time.  So don't Bogart my frens.

I've often regarded selfboweryin' in particular (versus lam or glass) as more like a seduction than a process or method, at least once I'd run clumsliy through enough projects to appretiate the difference.  Much like a seduction, you get better results when you listen and respond appropriately to cues from your partner. 

I reckon that may be the hardest thing to communicate to new bowyers.  They seem overly focused on how, how long, how wide, what wood, etc. perhaps out of necessity.  Then after some number of projects hopefully the intuition kicks in sufficiently that the wood becomes responsive enough to give up the clues to guide the bowyer's hands... so to speak.  An older hand will tell you the mechanics ain't as important as the communication.  If I go much farther I may need a shower and a smoke.

Also, I think they say "form follows function" or something like that wrt to design and engineering.  I think that holds for this craft as well.  I don't impose my predisposition on the stave.  It tells me, by virtue of function solely, the necessary and corresponding shape.

Seeep eeep... eeer.