Author Topic: arrowhead weight...  (Read 14404 times)

radius

arrowhead weight...
« on: July 19, 2009, 01:35:44 pm »
what is this "grains" measurement?  how does it relate to normal talk? 

I've got a bunch of arrowheads outlined on a thin skilsaw blade, and i guess they'll all weigh the same amount, making my arrows matched, but...where do you get a scale that measures in grains?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: arrowhead weight...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:44:03 pm »
 You can get a real cheap one from 3Rivers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:46:33 pm »
Most of your archery supply stores sell a hand held scale. You may be able to find a digital scale from a reloading supply store also. Grains is just a smaller measurement used for points and bullets. I am not sure how it converts to ounces or grams.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

radius

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 02:08:58 pm »
thanks guys

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 03:08:40 pm »
437.5 grains to an ounce!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:23:20 am »
ok Pat, that's a useful number!

awesome...

Offline taxus_bacata

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the term "grain" is used in reference to an ancient equivalance that related weight to grains of rice. Am I right?

Patrick 

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 03:17:46 pm »
Scott,

Grain weight is a common measurement used in ammo manufacturing. 1 grain is 1/7000th of a pound. It is derived from a single grain of barley. It's part of the English weights & measures system. It has carried over into archery for arrow head weight. Bullets are designated in grains, as well as powder measures. Arrow heads usually vary in weight from 70-180 grains, with 125 grains as a "standard."
You can purchase a decent small grain/gram/oz scale for cheap. I bought one on ebay for about $30, from a reloading supplier.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 06:34:52 pm »
15.43 grains to a gram
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:37:17 pm »
It really isn't practical to use a scale that needs conversion. You just cannot get real accurate unless your scale measures in grains. I suggest finding a rifle reloading scale. You can find cheap or expensive. You can get them at Bass Pro's, Cabellas, Sportsman's Warehouse or about any other respectable gun store.  It works great for matching shafts by physical weight also.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »
The scale I purchased will read ounces, grams or grains by changing mode. No conversion necessary. Very handy.

radius

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 04:35:31 am »
good tips  you guys, thanks

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 07:10:03 am »
I have the same little handheld one from 3Rivers that Eddie mentioned-it works plenty good enough for my purposes of matching shafts, heads, etc.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Capt

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 12:36:29 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the term "grain" is used in reference to an ancient equivalance that related weight to grains of rice. Am I right?

Patrick

Actually grains refers more so to grains of barley and dates back to roman times......... the english system was more based on the wheat grain which is roughly 1 1/3 of a grain of barley......

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 12:55:39 am »

Patrick

Actually grains refers more so to grains of barley and dates back to roman times......... the english system was more based on the wheat grain which is roughly 1 1/3 of a grain of barley......

Now you guys are just starting to sound like a Monty Python sketch! ;D