Author Topic: Curly BBO build along  (Read 27933 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Curly BBO build along
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 01:54:39 pm »
It is looking really good Bob. 7"-8" is a really high brace height. Most guys go for 5"-6". You will get better cast if you can lower the brace height. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mox1968

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 07:49:15 pm »
really great job bob,was wondering though Im from over the border in scotland (now living in ireland though).where did you get osage from??

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 08:51:57 am »
Hi John,

I get mine from Flybow in Co Mayo, so you should be well placed in Ireland  ;D.  I'll PM you the website info, as I dont believe that they're PA advertisers.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009, 05:50:54 am »
Hi All,

Update time.  I have managed to get some more time to work on the bow.  Jobs done:

- The limb tips have been considerably lightened,
- the string nocks formed,
- the handle built up with leather (but still not covered or finished)
- the whole things sanded and sanded
- the whole thing finished in several coats of poly spray varnish
- a new string made from 3 skeins of 4 threads of 852x in black and yellow, one end laid in, the other plaited and tied off in a bowyer's hitch (inspired by a Marc St Louis article.).

Jobs still to do:

- finish handle wrap, maybe in the tennis racket style
- shoot lots and lots (it is very fast).

Some pictures to follow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 05:53:58 am »
Note that I stupidly dropped a G-clamp on the bow after nearly completing it.  That is the mark above the natural knot in the osage.  I hope it will be OK

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 06:00:37 am »
A few more.  That Charolais cow horn is soo translucent.........

Offline JustAim

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 01:24:08 pm »
Looks great Bob! Those tip overlays look pretty cool. Very nice.

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 07:26:16 pm »
Bob, it's gorgeous!

Are you at Co 60 0pen on Sunday?  I'm not sure whether to go there or to the Roving Marks shoot in Kent, but knowing we could see your new bow might just swing it!

Good job.

Stan

Offline woodstick

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 08:09:53 pm »
very nice bow. she looks fast.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 12:39:49 pm »
Beautiful bow!!! Looks great on the tilering stick!  Have u been shooting it much?  Great job!!!

Cheers

radius

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2009, 02:17:20 pm »
that's a great one, man, one cool looking bow!

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 05:01:51 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.  Sorry I havent posted any full draw pix or similar yet, but I'm working all the hours that the big guy upstairs gives right now.  I'm posting this from a customer's office  8).  Hopefully there will be some time this weekend to take a few drawn pictures and post them up.  The bow shoots fast, and doesnt 'ring' like some other recurves, especially those made out of 'the other material that need not be mentioned here'...Having said that it isnt the quietest bow I've made, but I'm pretty happy with it for the seventh or eighth bow I've made.  I've still to really experiment with the brace height too, but it seems OK at the moment.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2009, 05:14:53 pm »
Wow love them curves!!!  Nice job on that one!!!   -josh   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 11:36:21 am »
Hi All,

Here are the final pictures.  Full draw and the handle finish, which was best done with a fine black leather lace.  Met up with Stan yesterday and shot around some.  The bow is light in the hand, very quick and comfortable, around 52@28".  The bow is 64" NTN, and and inch and 5/8ths wide immediately at the flares, tapering for the last 12" to 1/2" tips.  Thanks for all the inspiration guys!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 10:13:17 am »
Wow look how low your string angle is on full draw!!!  I bet that thing is sooooooo smooth to draw!!!   Nice!!!  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln