Author Topic: flint knapping accident?  (Read 3435 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
flint knapping accident?
« on: August 08, 2009, 01:14:58 am »
i dont know if this will stay here, it was humorous to me so i thought i would share.

I work at the local wally-world as an assembler/equipment maintenence/go-to guy, basically all of our 650 associates know who i am. i have been knapping on my lunches because i have a 20 month old to watch while im at home.....not easily done while sitting or working on bows for that matter. today, my monday, i was at work for a total of 30 min when i had a misshap with my box knife.... cut my index finger to and along the bone next to the first knuckle ::). as you might imagine, all of my bosses and all of my co-workers asked if i had screwed up while making my arrowheads before work.. O:)... thank goodness i cut myself on camera because the majority did not believe it was an actual on the job accident. just for the heck of it i am telling anyone who is asking now that i was checking how sharp a point was and slipped  >:D
unfortunately i am left handed and i cut my right index finger.... thats my hand for holding the pad and rock, so i wont be doing any knapping for a week+ :(
Dustin D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:21:12 am by DustinDees »
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline DanaM

Re: flint knapping accident?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:21:12 am »
Bet that stung eh, them box cutters are wicked I layed my palm open with one when I worked in a grocery store back in my college days
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline piper

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:39:08 am »
DD .....I hate to hear that...Will it need stiches...KEEP it clean and hope it will get better soon.

Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:32:50 am »
yeh, already got stitches on it, didnt realize there was that much tissue between the finger and bone. my doctor said if i had done it knapping it would probably heal cleaner lmao..... dont know if i prefer a deeper cut/faster heal time, or shallower cut/ with a little more pain and slower healing

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 06:08:38 pm »
 Our guy's at work that use razor knives are not allowed to use them without cut proof gloves on. I keep a pair handy for cleaning hogs and gators.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:41 am »
ouch , ive had some experience with a box cutter myself  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:39:16 pm »
I think one of the worst cuts I have ever had was from a cardboard box. I used to work for Fed Ex and when we unloaded trucks we always worked at a fast pace and I grabbed a box that was coming down the line it was still sliding when it hit the crease in my hand and it went straight through my skin all the way into the fold of my hand. Before that I had no idea you could cut your hand so bad on it but afterward I always made sure to have a pair of bike gloves on.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero