Author Topic: tillering a pryamid bow  (Read 2196 times)

Offline tronman

tillering a pryamid bow
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:32:08 pm »
Hello to all,

I am new to this site and bow building. I have made 3 bows, 1 broke and 2 have managed to stay together. I am mainly playing around with red oak until I feel more confident with tillering and that I will not regularly blow something more expensive or a nice stave. I found 3 nice 72 inch long 1x3 red oak boards to work on. One of them I would like to make a pryamid bow. Question is, how does one tiller a pyramid bow. Is it by only reducing the width by scrapping the sides. Or do you, at times, need to reduce thickness evenly along both bow limbs.

Thanks for your advice and help in advance

Offline sailordad

Re: tillering a pryamid bow
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 05:31:16 pm »
tronman

i believe true pyramid bow would be side tillered
however alot of people use the pyramid profile and tiller on the belly
i myself have made bows that way and they worked just fine
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:15:43 pm »
If you lay a Pyramid Bow out properly....it will be next to Tillered from the start....I always play with the sides to Tiller them out...but there is nothing wrong with removing some Belly Wood also
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 09:15:10 pm »
I built a Pyramid Bow from a piece a 1"x3"x72" Red Oak from Home Depot...Bow is 44# @ 28". I don't have a side profile but will add a couple of pics. For the most part the Tiller is flat, but get just a little bit thicker out towards the tips. I did some minor tillerin by reducin the sides. But very little. It shoots great.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat