Author Topic: Flatbow - Lever Design Questions  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Parnell

Flatbow - Lever Design Questions
« on: August 01, 2009, 12:05:14 am »
Heya Crew,

I roughed this out this evenin.  I've seen this design around a few places and was hoping for some opinions. 
It's 66" long 1.25" wide and the height of the levers and handle is 1".  Handle is 4" fades 1".  The 'lever' is 6" long fading into the vody of the limb over 2 inches. 

Should I reduce the height of the levers, some?  The length?  Planning on shaping them to a tear-drop cross-section. 

With this being hickory and the height of lever profile - I'm thinking I'll just cut nocks into the back.

Will start to tiller tomorrow.  Should most bending take place mid-limb or should I keep more toward the end of the limb nearer the lever?  I'm going to look for about 50 lbs. at 27.

What's this design called?  I thought I saw someone call it a Myhaska Flatbow?  That right?

Happy August,

Parnell

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Flatbow - Lever Design Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 03:47:27 am »

This is what would be called a Holmegaard (absolutely correct a Mollegabet) type bowtip; I would reduce the thickness a lot to reduce handshock, but you can play around with that teardrop cross section for looks. Stylistically, a pin nock would fit for a Holmegaard.
I never cut nocks into the back of the bow, but it sure would not be a problem on the stiff levers.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:14:48 am »
I've been reading about the Holmegaard in TBB2.  Didn't know if the flat limbs and different cross-section disqualified the name.
1’—>1’

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 02:56:01 pm »
Well, it's for sure not a replica, but i'd say the same sort of design.
Frank from Germany...

radius

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:05:34 pm »
have fun shaping those tips, dude...make em look anyway you want, just so long as they don't bend...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:41:17 am »
The levers won't bend if they thicken by a millimeter, and that will lower their weight which will result in a faster bow! ...and - alwasy a major concren of mine - in a lesser hand-shock!
Frank from Germany...