Author Topic: Good rock  (Read 4115 times)

CodyCoyote

Good rock
« on: August 01, 2009, 11:44:32 pm »
Is the heat treated novaculite good to start flint knapping with? I also need tools... can I just get the copper pressure flaker or would it be better for me to get the knap pak with copper percussion flaker pressure flaker abraiding stone and leather pad? I dont see needing to break the heat treated rock or grind it but im not sure what I need

Thanks,

Cody

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Good rock
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:21:21 am »
Novaculite would be a great rock to learn with. I've only worked on one piece of it, but it was super easy to knapp.
 Depending on whether your rock is a spall or a slab will determine if you need any percussion tools or not. You will need a pressure flaker, abrader and pad at the very least.  Any edge you intend to remove flakes from will need some  abrading...heat treated or not. ;) 
 I suggest you look at some knapping videos on youtube. TONS of good instruction on there and it's free! ;D   Look for any videos from "Paleomanjim" or "flinknappingtips"
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:53:55 am »
I am a beginner as well.  The novaculite is some good rock.  The quickest way to learn is sit down with someone willing to spend a little time teaching you.  A few hours of instruction will save months of frustration.  Also if the rock  you have is in the form of flakes you can get by with just a pressure flaker, a hand pad and an abrader.  All of these you can make for almost no $$$.  For percussion I bought copper boppers and found that all I did was smash lots of good stone.  Then a friend told me to try antler.  I find these much easier and more forgiving than the copper.  Last bit of advice is to start off with the cheapest stone you can work because if you are like me you will make LOTS of rubble at first. ;)
Traverse City, MI

CodyCoyote

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:00:02 am »
Thanks I will get the kit soon, the novaculite is about 5 dollars for a pound so i thought it was a good deal.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 03:30:01 pm »
Cody:  There is a thread called Where are you from!  Would you tell us about yourself and there will be lots of help.  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline xin

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 05:21:27 pm »
Bottle bottoms is a good cheap way to learn pressure flaking.  Glass is not only cheap, but relatively easy to pressure flake.

CodyCoyote

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:41:59 pm »
Im from virginia

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 09:59:36 pm »
Cody, Noviculate works good if its heat treated right , if its raw its some tuff material, I,d save your stone for awhile an practice on some cheap stuff, old bottle bottoms , tv screens window glass if thick enough, some guys even use old toilet tanks. I personally have used some stain glass windows that made beautiful points an old bottles worked good if not to domed, Hope this helps an good knapping, Oh yea you need bandaids for that knapping kit also. Leaks happen especially with glass . Later Bob

PeteDavis

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »
Cody

Pete Davis here. I'm in Lexington. PM me if you want a few startups and can get to this area.

PD

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 04:23:54 pm »
Anyone find any good rock in SE Iowa? I know a quarry I can frequent from time to time.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 06:40:47 am »
up

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 08:33:30 am »
Tom, you should find very good quality rock there.I know that the Mo side is full of burlinton. go to the quarry and ask the yard boss about what you are looking for,they hate the good stuff and may grant you permission to look around. It's best to get it right after they strip the top layers off and before they get down to what they want.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 07:25:01 pm »
Thanks Tim,
The quarry I know of has that top layer stuff all shoved in a pile. I'll have to bust some up if I see anything good.