Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 199655 times)

Offline Skeaterbait

Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 09:29:32 am »
Hey all, this is my first contribution to a collective effort like this, are we going to be doing pictorials as we each do our part to offer with the bows? This way whomever gets the bow gets a "baby book" so to speak.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 09:45:49 am »
Count me in for emotional support for the rest of you rebs, but my skills aren't ready to tinker with the likes of this bow.  I'll just watch the progress and enjoy for this go 'round.  (Course, if y'all wanted to do some sabotage, I could slip over the border and offer to help with the Northerner's bow.)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 09:48:57 am »
I will take some pictures as it comes along,might be cool to have a kind of build along so
everyone can see the progress.Thanks Dick,skeaterbait on the knife.What does everyone else
think.If it is OK i will get it sent off the first of the week.Hillbilly you got latrine duty. :)Just kidding.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 10:16:33 am »
Pappy, That knife is great. It is a welcomed addition to this set.    I believe that guava can take a radiused belly...to what degree I don't know. Maybe check out Manny's bows from the past and see if you can tell.
   I think pic will be good.  Also, I think that every contributer should sign their work, indicate what you did and where you are from.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bullcreekboy

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 10:28:02 am »
The knife looks great Pappy. The stave will be in the mail Saturday.

Offline RG

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 10:36:18 am »
I won't have much of an oppurtunity to help but I will take up a collection to help out the one's that get fired for staying on the internet LOL

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 10:37:35 am »
Pappy, one of the staves that I got from Manny he had roughed out. Since he roughed it out with a round belly I would bet your OK.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 10:54:56 am »
Thanks Knothead I may need that.Justin ,so you think it need to be rounded on the belly,I usually do Hickory fairly flat ,just radius a little.Maybe Manny will check in and tell me what is best.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Rich Saffold

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 01:07:56 pm »
The bow Manny sent to my son is 68"ntn 1 5/16th's outside the fades and the belly is radius, and heat treated. The limb cross section is just under 3/4th"s where it starts bending.  And he flipped the last 4" of the tips about 1/2" deflection.. This bow draws 70#+ @ 29" and the limbs hold an inch plus reflex although I don't believe this bow has 300 shots yet..

Both limbs have the same dimensions lengthwise..I made a "D" style longbow as well 70" which performed well considering a knot when thru the grip section..So I'd do radius with guava.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 02:10:27 pm »

Pappy,
Remember we worked on a d-style hickory together that was not the best piece of wood. It required a lot of straightening to get the string to cross the handle. It was also narrower then the flat bows we make...around 1" to 1-1/8" if I remember correctly. It turned out to be a good shooter as I recall. The tillering is more time-consuming because you have to maintain that radius while removing material.

Greg
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

chuck

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 06:25:14 pm »
Hello fellers I want yall to know you can count on me for morial support. Let me know if I can help other wise. Thanks Chuck

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 06:41:01 pm »
  Hey I'll still chip some points unless Cowboy is going to do them.And that Burlington sounds good also.Pappy that knife looks really cool.Like Dick said ,"you can't have too many knives".I'm also sitting on some gator skin and Python.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 08:47:36 pm »
Wow, this thing's really building up a head of steam!! feel like I've fallen behind already - pardon, been out working in the snow all day - at least we'd call this a snow where I'm from.

OK Pat, yessir! three points in the mail next week, won't get home till Wednesday. May have to endure stern faces from the better half, with the weather - will have to knap on kitchen floor, ha anything to avoid cabin fever. Was thinking along the line's of Ishi, pedernales, maybe dalton - longer slender style points. but then depending on who acquire's the weaponry may want something more durable? Will need an address.

Shannon: That Burlington sounds interesting, have never worked it. Might could come up with something from one of the spalls - I'll send you a PM.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 08:57:35 pm »
If we really want a southern bow, I've got a couple possum tail skins floating around somewhere, would complement Eddie's gators nicely. We could stain it with collard greens, and finish it with fatback grease :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 09:09:15 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 10:11:17 pm »
  steve---------dont forget Blac-eyed peas !...bob