Author Topic: Questions regarding Wampanoag "Sudbury" bow  (Read 8688 times)

Offline tronman

Questions regarding Wampanoag "Sudbury" bow
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:50:52 pm »
I have some dimesions for making a Wampanoag "Sudbury" bow from this site and TBB 1 or 2 cannot remember, but unsure about handle and fade length. From pictures it appears the handle and fades are fairly long. Wondering if anyone has some experience making this style of bow and could clarify some of these dimensions?

Offline Parnell

Re: Questions regarding Wampanoag "Sudbury" bow
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »
Haven't made one, but I'm having a look at it.  Doesn't look like there should be a set handle length, to me, as it fades consistently to a center.  If I were going to make it, I think I'd be focusing on getting that sweeping fade right in the tillering of the bow.  It looks like it should be a sorta semi-rigid handle.  I'm figurin' that the dimension has to be played with in consideration of the wood your using.  From fade and to fade end, maybe 9-10 inches?  You going to use hickory?

1’—>1’

Offline tronman

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:02:48 pm »
Yea, I have a nice hickory board that is 72 inches long, 1 inch thick, and a shade over an 1-3/4 wide.  I am sure the handle is rigid. I was thinking 8-10 inches from the pictures I have seen but could not find any concrete dimensions for the handle or fade to fade for this style of bow.
Thanks for your help

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:05:16 am »
Wampanoag Bows are bend through the Handle Bows....I have built my share of them....they don't bend much...but they do Bend....and you can feel it. The Bow should be between 67 and 68 inches long....slightly under an inch wide in the Handle area and an inch and a quarter to an inch and three eighths thick..... Limbs gradually widen to the center at about 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" wide....then taper back to 3/4" wide Tips....with Pin Nocks....the Limbs are Trapezoidal in shape...tapered from the Back to the Belly....these Bow really resemble a Norrowed ...stretched out West Coast paddle Bow....in fact they tiller out about the same too

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:10:40 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:15:14 am »
now thats a nice looking stick with a nice looking tiller
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline xin

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:52:37 pm »
Destructo, Always get a bang out of seeing your Wampanoag bows.  They are one of my favorite styles  and you do a masterful job with them.  Beautiful bows!!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:54:23 pm »
  Thanks Xin...these Wampanoag Bows...and the Ojibwe/ Potawatomie Scallop Bows are among my Favorites to build and shoot
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Woodwright

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:19:38 pm »
The Apr/May 2004 issue of Traditional Bowhunter magazine has a very detailed article on the "Sudbury" bow. It contains very detailed dimensions and a photo of the entire length of the bow. This back issue is available for order on the Traditional Bowhunter web site. It is the best information I personally have seen on this bow.

Offline tronman

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:00:44 pm »
Thanks Woodwright I will check it out.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:22:04 pm »
Very cool bow.  I'll have to put that on the roster.   ;D
1’—>1’