Author Topic: First Osage character bow build along  (Read 92934 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
First Osage character bow build along
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:53:16 pm »
I showed this stave earlier, It was just roughed out, no more work to it at that point. Micky Lotz gave this peice to me at Mojam last year, and I wanted to give Hedge a try, so I started to get at it, but I lost determination because of all the mistakes I made, I didn't know what I was doing. I treated it like a board, bad idea. But when I first showed it, someone told me, "It doesn't take much osage to build a bow." I'm counting on that a lot.
Here is is how it was roughed out.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

Re: First Osage character bow build along
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:05:20 am »
I'll continue this tomorrow

Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:46:36 am »
Hey 1/2primitive, looks "not to bad" to me. Should make a fine looking bow when done. Where are you located? Your stats. are not filled in with that info. Maybe there is someone near you to advise you. Us Osage novices need all the help we can get.

Dick Bernier

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:14:09 am »
Yes, this is going to be helpful - I have several sage quarter logs with some character and am just starting to get the jest of how to begin, for instance leaving a little wood around those knots on the edge. Don't have a band saw yet, been using a table saw to take off big meat and wind up ripping straight through everything - ^&$%#%*1!!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:44:11 am »
You should have a great time. Looks like plenty of wood there. Osage is my favorite.Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 10:47:47 am »
I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I believe there are a few people around me if I'm not mistaken.
cowboy, what I did (not always the best idea) was I used my draw knife to 'rough' rough it out, I guess. Then after I almost ruined a knot by spliting and getting plenty mad at myself, I switched to my course rasp to finish roughing out and it's in the floor tillering stage right now.
    I'm gettin' started early, today's a Saturday! ;D
                    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:01:41 am »
Sean, Looks like you have plenty of wood there. I usually don't shape the handle area until last. I do mark it out so I can keep track of it. This gives me a place to clamp without hurting the bow.   What I'd do is to begin to taper from mid limb to the tips. but leave the tips a little wide, for adjustment, until tillering is complete. Use a rasp to do your shaping. It's slower but it will help you concentrate on each stroke so you have better controll. Leave knots along the edge proud and start reducing the belly. When you get to floor tiller stage change over to a scraper to remove wood on the belly unless there is a difficult area(knots & swirls) and use a rasp for those areas. 
   Most of all, have fun.  Posting pics as you go along will help us help you and will help you see things the naked eye misses.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:04:54 am »
Looks like your off to a great start. - Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 02:30:19 pm »
Oops, I forgot to say, it's 62" long. Don't worry, I'm short so I'm only looking for a 23-24" draw length ;) and it's within 1"-1 1/2" wide throughout.
Pat, I now leave shaping the handle for close to last, but like I said I don't know what I was thinking when I started this one.

This is the belly, I like the redish color by the handle and the knots. Something happened and it turned one of the, late? growth rings red.

btw, what growth are the good rings, early? late?

It's bending now. The reflexed limb is on the bottom so it looks like it's not bending at all, but it is.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 02:31:53 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 07:08:27 pm »
Sean - just in case. Where are you located in DFW? I'm in Springtown just a few miles West of Azle on 199, never know we may hook up some time.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 07:19:49 pm »
 cowboy, I'm north in Flower Mound.
As I said, it's bending, but I need a stronger string for tillering (I need Dacron). So it will be held up for a little while. Sorry.
            Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 11:47:31 pm »
 Sean,If you need some string send me a PM.I've got a few rolls of B-50 and fast flight.Also if you have a Wally mart.they have Spider wire in the fishing section.It's darn near the same as fast flight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 11:59:27 pm »
  Also tackle shops sell 50 lb. fishing dacron by shakesphere......... its a true 50 lb--use it for a long string....bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »
Or a piece of cheap Walmart clothes line is all I use for a tillering string.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 07:11:42 pm »
All right, I decided to do what Marc does and use a steel cable. So, I got started on tillering today, it's bending a little more now.
Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:13:20 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.