Author Topic: First Osage character bow build along  (Read 92936 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: First Osage character bow build along
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 10:32:07 pm »
After tillering for a little while, this is how far I got. Any comments welcome.
I love this wood! I'm looking forward to using it again, it's quickly becoming my favorite bow wood.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:34:01 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 10:35:38 pm »
I ain't no pro but I would be real happy with the progress of the left limb and start working the outer third of the right to get that stiff area out.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 10:41:13 pm »
  I concur with skeaterbait-slowly work on right limb to bring it around to same as left limb.......bob

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 12:00:13 am »
Thanks for the comments guys.
I've started doing that, and trying real hard to go slowly.
 btw, you don't have to be real nice about it, I can take critisism. ;)

I'm easing the right limb into tiller.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:02:28 am by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 12:28:49 am »
Now I ran into this situation. Should I weaken the entire stiff limb?

Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 06:38:21 am »
Looks good so far,it's a little flat on the outer 1/3.I love those knotty starves.Sometime they are hard to see the bend so go slow.I know Jawgs don't like them but at this point I put it on a tillering stick and use a 3 in. straight edge on the belly ,sliding it down and look at the gap to keep it even.Just a thought.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mickey

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 03:58:36 pm »
Sean looking good. You need to weaken that left limb some and get it matching the right limb before you go any further. Once the limb tips are moving about 9 or 10 inches it will be time to make up a string 2" shorter than the nock to nock length of the bow and start working at a low brace height. Also be careful of hand placement on the string which may give a false look at where it is really bending. It looks as though you have more pressure on the string towards the side that is bending more. Is that understandable? I think if you just take it nice and slow taking and posting lots of pics and asking advice during the tilleriing process, you'll get a nice bow out of that piece of wood. I like bows with a little character. Sometimes you don't know what all is hiding under the bark though ha ha.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:04:23 pm by Mickey »

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 04:49:30 pm »
No, sometimes you don't. This piece looked perfect, with no knots or anything, but I found more knots as I took it down. :D
Yes, I understand that, I'll try to watch it as I continue.
I know this has not been very informative to any others, so I will try to make up for it by doing it now.

Chasing a ring:
On the stave, you will have to remove the bark and sapwood(light colored wood in front of the heart wood, which is the darker, stronger wood in the center)
There are two 'types' of growth rings; 'pithy' weak rings separating the good hard rings. you want the hard growth to be the back of your bow. When taken down to a single growth ring it should look like the first picture. (it also shows how the wood grows around the knots: whatch for this and follow the grain as it does.)
Working around knots:
On this stave, all of the knots were already compensated for by the tree growing around them. All I had to do was cut straght across the belly and they were stiff enough to be safe. If they are straight across on the back, make the bow wider in these areas and the thickness also. The second picture is how my bow looks on the belly.
I hope I've explained this all right and that this will be of help for other people trying they're first osage character bow.
BTW, I'm by no means an expert, if you have anythig to add or think I got wrong in this short explination, say so. I wont be ofended.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:53:07 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Dano

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 06:37:46 pm »
Your doing great Sean, man I love build a longs!!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 08:49:26 pm »
Thanks Dano, I like build-alongs too, there should be more of them (hint, hint).
Sorry I havn'y been able to work on this bow much lately, but I finnaly got some time in.
I've done some more tillering, should I move on to the short string now?

Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 09:23:15 pm »
  I would touch up the left limb about 6-8" from tip and then more on to short string........bob--looks good !

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 09:30:44 pm »
  Ah .........I forgot to say touch limb up CAREFULLY !!!!!!.................bob

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 09:44:34 pm »
Im still learnin, but it looks more to me like a natural hook in the limb, not a tillering problem??? Can someone shed some light on this for me? I cant help but think about reflexin the other limb to match. Would be a cool side profile.lol......Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Dano

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 10:03:37 pm »
Sean, I would get the right limb bending a little more at the fade, just before what looks like a knot on the side of the limb. That area may take on major set if it doesn't start working.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline RG

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 10:42:51 pm »
I am not a great builder but some of you guys help watch that area for him right at that knot  looks like to me if he has a bad problem it will be right there looks hingee to me