Author Topic: A "Double" Perry reflex?  (Read 1996 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

A "Double" Perry reflex?
« on: August 11, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »
Hey Guys, I'm back into my semiannual attempts at bow building. I'm trying to salvage my last attempt. It's a 68" pyramid, osage backed with ipe. I made some progress with it actually as it's the first time I've been able to keep ipe glued to anything without it popping off. It was also my first Perry reflex, which worked great. It still holds an inch or more of reflex unstrung (about 3" at gluing) However , it came out around 35 lbs. I'm thinking of backing it with bamboo to raise the weight. (Ive never worked with bamboo either). My question is whether I should try to pull any more reflex in it before gluing versus just wrapping the boo to follow the existing reflex. It would probably cause too much strain but an interesting question of whether you could get a performance advantage. Any tips and tricks on using bamboo would be highly appreciated too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A "Double" Perry reflex?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:43:39 pm »
If it were me...I'd leave that one alone and make another. You could shorten that bow some and get the weight up.
 Both ipe and osage are good belly woods. There are other woods that are good for backings. Start with either osage or ipe and add a boo(technically a grass) or hickory backing, glued up into Perry reflex and go from there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

CutNShoot

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:06:25 am »
Stick some boo on the back and it will get STRONG!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:39:22 pm »
if you put on a boo back make it as thin as pos, it depends how far you have pushed the materials so far ,if the bow is comfortable with no strained areas should be ok backed with  thin boo ,( I've never used osage by the way!!! but I believe it dense enough to take it )
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Herm from Bavaria

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:09:57 pm »
i agree with pat. build another one. boo on massaranduba become a wonderful bow - in performance and looking.

get busy, greets

herm

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 04:20:12 pm »
Thanks , the more I think about it I'm leaning toward just trying to back it as is or start a new one. I also wondered if anyone actually does this with multiple lam bows, i.e. putting more reflex in with each glueup.