Author Topic: MR replica (pics)  (Read 24840 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Re: MR replica (pics)
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 02:34:41 pm »
Oh, that kind of low spots :)

I normally make the belly follow the growth on the back. After all, it doesn't take many millimetres for a section to become too stiff and then putting the stress on the thinner places. I would make a section with a knot or other weakness in it thicker, but if it is only the wood fibers that fluctuates I don't see why one should stiffen such a section of the bow? It would definitely make it quicker to make, but I don't think it is the best way to distribute the stress as evenly as possible?

Alanesq has a nice web page dedicated to the side nocks of the MR.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 12:39:12 am »
"I suggested that the Middle Ages, being between the Greek/Roman period of classical culture and the rebirth [Renaissance}of it, does not have an exact cut off point"

That is exactly what you have not sugested, but nice backpedaling.

"I could imagine them coming out of the same workshop and I think they are worth considering and comparing."

I could not because  with regard to what these bows have in common, much more they have not - for example the backs of MR bows are worked down, while those on Nydam bows are not, the level of worksmanship on Nydam bows is extremelly uneven in terms of skill, on MR bows quite contrary to that, Nydam bows have diferent tapers which suggest they were tilered much like modern sporting longbow, the placement of nock grooves is not the end of staves etc...

These bows are only worth comparing in regards to their respective historical context, but not next to each other.

J.

I have seen Nydam bows and have detailed descriptions of them. Some were not as well made as others but I consider the workmanship on most of them, and on the arrows, to be very good. I suppose you have studied them very carefully ? I am not sure what you mean by the backs being worked down. In both cases the backs were worked to suit the chosen cross sections. I also would be interested in what you mean by a " modern sporting longbow". Do you mean a  Howard Hill "American longbow"? A Victorian longbow ? one of my longbows ? The ends of the Nydam bows extend beyond the self side nocks. That has no effect on the shooting function of the bow. You consider it an important difference ? i mentioned the horn nock difference.

Rod

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2009, 11:50:37 am »
Oh, that kind of low spots :)

I normally make the belly follow the growth on the back. After all, it doesn't take many millimetres for a section to become too stiff and then putting the stress on the thinner places. I would make a section with a knot or other weakness in it thicker, but if it is only the wood fibers that fluctuates I don't see why one should stiffen such a section of the bow? It would definitely make it quicker to make, but I don't think it is the best way to distribute the stress as evenly as possible?

Alanesq has a nice web page dedicated to the side nocks of the MR.

I would like to see the nock issue addressed with pictures as a separate archiveable topic without out any ill mannered nonsense.
But I can always edit that out if it becomes necessary.

Rod.

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2009, 06:54:41 pm »
Nice job on that bow kviljo.

jb