Author Topic: wood billets?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

wood billets?
« on: August 16, 2009, 12:59:55 am »
I got one of those Shopsmith woodworking things from my Dad, who tired of it.  It can be used as a lathe and I was thinking of turning out some wood billets with it.  I know that most guys make their own, but is a lathe-turned wood billet appealing to anyone?  I will make a few to experiment with later on (I'm having another shouler surgery this Wednesday).  I wouid appreciate any feedback if anyone is interested.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: wood billets?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 01:35:40 am »
Jim, I gave a few 2" to 3" diameter dogwood billet stock to a few guys at the Tenn Classic last year and a couple of them went right to the lathe and turned them down to more refined billets. I don't knap but I'd almost bet that the turned would go if you had them for sale or trade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:38:23 am »
I have a dogwood one that I bought from a guy at a knap in.  I really like it,  I'm sure if you turned a few out people would be interested in buying/trading for them.
Traverse City, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:37:58 am »
hell ill try one ;D

make em up and let me know what ya want
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 04:23:13 pm »
I would love to try one out. it would save some whittlin on a log
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 07:38:31 pm »
i have a couple of dog wood and I have a few sticks of ironwood that i will eventually whittle down,to try.