Author Topic: Multi Fletcher  (Read 6782 times)

Offline Kegan

Multi Fletcher
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:18:25 pm »
Lookee at what I made ;D!!!

I have no idea where I got the desire to make this, but I couldn't sleep so I started thinking it out. Went through about six designs and came up with this. So I spent all Saturday afternoon working on it- even though it's very simple. Hardest part was figuring out what sort of scraps I needed. It works pretty well, not perfect (sometimes the front or back are off the shaft slightly at first and you have to be careful about putting them down), but much better than I had ever hoped. I've been using my brother's Bohning jig, but it's been slow on big batches. This jig fletches it almost as well (same helical as the other jig, and they haven't fallen off yet :D). It's just a few scraps of red oak, some screws and glue, and some clamps. Either way, for the price of a nice multi fletcher I think this one is simply great. Once I get used to using this one, I'm sure I won't have any issue. I'm really happy with this :)

I only had two arrows to test it on though. Two are done with this, two are done with my brother's jig. I can't really tell much of a difference, can you?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline adb

Re: Multi Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:09:30 pm »
Necessity is the mother of invention! Well done, young feller.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:13:40 pm »
Thank you! Apparently insomnia is too :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 04:46:19 pm »
Cool Kegan. Just like in the old days.  Well done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:23:13 pm »
 That's a pretty cool, simple, Idea, Kegan. I like it. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:39:58 am »
A little build-along would be fantastic!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:31:06 am »
Very cool,use what you have. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 10:32:36 am »
Thanks everyone ;D. As soon as I ind a few more clips I intended to make another one. "Super bulk arrow making". Not that I have enough to make arrows in bulk, but more for the comfort of knowing I could, so I would snap some pictures of it as I built the next one- so yoou read my mind Medicinewheel :D

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:13:16 pm »
Howdy Kegan,

Thanks for sharing your invention.

Couple of questions...

-What are those laths (thin pieces of wood(?)) that are glued(?) to your little clamps?  What are they made of, and how thick are they? (Length and Hight also, please?)

-Is there a twist in those little laths, or are they just offset?  How much (in inches) did you offset those clamp things?

-Can you provide some dimensions to your fixture?

-The Knocks (ends of the arrows) appear to go into little holes.  Are there little slots in the fixture for the arrows to fall into - in front of the fletchings?

-What / Why are those little sticks sticking out of the ends of your clamp things?

I just built my Spine Tester from a PA Build-Along - works great!! 
So, now I can focus on building this fletcher.

Thanks again for sharing,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:33:51 pm »
That's a neat fletcher Kegan.Good work!!! God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 11:21:03 am »
Thanks guys.

Canoe
-the clamps are just made from thin scraps of wood. They vary a bit in thickness, but are about 1/8" thick. They're the biggest I could get from the scrap I had- 1 1/2" high or so, and about 7" long. The little notches on the side are, I believe 3/8" square.

-no twist, just offest. Oddly enough, they look almost identical to a RW feather glued on with an actual jig. I got the offset really simply: I squared the sides of the slots up with the sides of the hole. So in front, the slot is flush with the right side of the arrow, and in the back the slot is  flush with the left side of the arrow.

- about 7" wide,  6 1/2" or so long. It's about 1 1/4" high or so. It would be better it were longer, but that's all the longer I had my clamps.

-No slots. The front end, in front of the fletchings, is just attached with two small snubbed 1 1/4" screws. It only takes three or four turns of a screw driver to take the front off, into which (and out of which) you slide the arrows. COuldn't think of anything better than that at the time :D

- Some of the slots are a bit larger than the clamps, and so I jut shoved some little shims in there to keep them still. Gives me a little wiggle room too.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:31:02 pm »
Cool fletcher  Kegan.. If you build another it would make a great article in the PA mag
It would be great I'm sure many would enjoy it.You did a awesome job.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 12:17:20 pm »
Cool fletcher  Kegan.. If you build another it would make a great article in the PA mag
It would be great I'm sure many would enjoy it.You did a awesome job.
Thanks Leroy

Thanks! Ya think? Hmmm :)...

AKAPK

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 02:03:39 am »
Genius and a gentleman :)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:31:36 pm »
Genius and a gentleman :)

Thank you- you're gonna make my head swell ;D!