Author Topic: Bow Noises  (Read 6183 times)

Offline Mohammad Javad Shoaee

Bow Noises
« on: September 11, 2009, 04:13:11 am »
Hello

I have build many unsuccessful bows maybe more than 20 and after tillering them most of them broke or have a terrible setback but i learnt many things from them.
now i have build a mulberry board bow that have Z splice in the handle with hide glue and after tillering it because i was afraid of breaking and because it didn't follow one ring on its back i back it with raw hide.
but some times when i draw it it have some noises like breaking before and after backing that.
what is thhe problem is it wood or hide glue?is it for cold weather or for drawing it suddenly?

Thank You

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bow Noises
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:21:10 am »
Hide glue will do that sometimes,Did you put the rawhide on with hide glue also? I try and keep the glue as thin as possible and wipe off all the excess or it will make a cracking noise when drawn,
especially the first draw,usuall don't hurt anything just kind of keeps you on edge and I don't like to be worried when I shoot a selfbow. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:43:35 am »
Probably needs breaking in. Once it has been shot 100 times it might quiet down.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:53:43 am »
 thank you pappy.

Justin you mean it may break after 100 shots? ???

Thank You

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:39:13 pm »
Justin means, that if you shoot it 100 times the noise may go away. I have a sinew backed bow that does this all the time, here in this dry climate, kinda un-nerving at times.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

radius

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 01:23:08 pm »
i get that awful sound after wrapping a handle with jute and then coating it with epoxy.  It is the epoxy cracking.  Best of luck bro...after 20 bows you're bound to get one that works.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »
My sinew and hide glue backed osage was a constant source of heart attacks for the first two years I shot it.  Every time I picked it up it would make another cacophony of cracking and snapping sounds.  Ultimately it developed longitudinal cracks from fades to tips as the sinew continued to shrink and add tension to the back.  The bow started with a little crown and now has, for lack of a better term, anti-crown.  The back of the bow is not literally cupped from the sinew and hideglue.  It has reached a static condition now and is silent and deadly, much like the after effects of my famous antelope chili.   

Just keep watching the back, and if you have a spot that feels a little rough, run a cotton ball across it to see if it snags.  The cotton fibers that snag will help you find any spot where a fatal crack may be developing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

radius

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »
JWH

i always think of your little tag here, everytime i catch myself sigh while scraping...happens all the time...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:50:52 pm »
 I like yours, Scott, but I thought it took a bus to get to the doorstep. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

radius

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 05:06:04 pm »
true enough, that it did...

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 02:01:15 am »
Thank you every one