Author Topic: Ojibwa native style bow  (Read 2795 times)

Offline II BYRDS

Ojibwa native style bow
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:17:07 am »
OK all i have a question maybe one of you can give some input on Ojibwa Native Americans. here is where i started with all of this. In 2005 i found out i have prostate cancer. started looking for alternatives to our ways of medicines. Started studding the Ojibwa natives to this country (North America) my native name Niizh Bineshii ( II Byrds ) in Ojibwa. so i am looking for any info on Ojibwa style bows. HELP :)

Offline Parnell

Re: Ojibwa native style bow
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:49:30 am »
Ojibwa specifically, no.  There are Potowotomi examples on here though.  Do a search if you wish to see that.  I know the two tribes were closely tied in council, so there may be similarities in bow design.  Don't know for sure, though.  Perhaps others do?
1’—>1’

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:54:52 am »
Contact the Iron County Historical Society, located in Caspian, Michigan.   I believe the county museum has some bows and other items that you would learn from.   I lived 4 miles from there for 20 years and they have an EXTENSIVE collection.  

keith/piper

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:16:21 pm »
Also PM El Destructo he should be able to help ya.

Kieth I need to get to Caspian, I didn't know they had a collection there :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:37:25 pm »
Dana, they have 2.5 MILLION items on display or in storage.   They have lots of Native stuff, including a dugout, a birch canoe, paddle remnants, etc.   Call and ask about bows, clothing, etc......

piper

Offline II BYRDS

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:10:56 pm »
okay thanks parnell i started checing into this Potowotomi ?  They are a native tribe there name was given to them by there Anishinaabe cousins the Ojibwa ;D they called them selfs Bodewadmi fire keepers. the Potowotomi where part of a long term alliance with the Ojibwa and the Ottawa, called the council of the three fires. Potowotomi were considered the "youngest brother".

I was checking out the one that Parnell did i will keep checking see what i can come up with.