Author Topic: Buying a kit  (Read 3432 times)

Offline bigcountry

Buying a kit
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:02:36 pm »
A few places on the web have kits for sale. 

One comes with safety glasses, leather gloves, piece of leather, leather pad, abrader stone, two flakers, a sharpening file, 3 boppers, and a bunch of preforms, some obsidian.  All for 50 dollars. 

Am I wasting my money?  Just trying to jump in the game here.  Really like the idea of an ishi stick.  But figured thats down teh line. 

I bought some solid copper 6 and 4 ga, guess I just need to mount it in something.  I have a moose rack, I brought back from newfoundland.  Found a dead moose up there and cut the antlers off.  Kinda hate to cut it up.  I guess I got all the tools.  Just need to start bashing things.  I took a bunch of old computer monitors from the dump and knocked out the screens.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:05:38 pm by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline piper

Re: Buying a kit
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:44:52 pm »
Thats up to you ..the tools can be made from thing around home and Lowe's or it you have the funds its OK to buy the tools...Its your hobby and you make the rules..I bought my first tools but mow i make them  BUT YOU WILL NEED BANDADES hope this helps...

Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:01:36 pm »
The wire will work better (at least mine does) if you cut it in half foot sections, clamp one end in a vise and clamp vise grips on the other end and twist it up.  It will look twisted like a rope when you get done.  The more you twist it, the harder it gets.  $20 dollars at Lowes will get you enough copper pipe and copper end caps for seceral boppers.  It is up to you.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:04:53 pm »
Like already said, you can buy the stuff if ya want or make it - up to you. Fifty bucks ain't that much money and the kit will get you started while your accumulating stuff.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:16:36 am »
Well, I figured before I make stuff, I find out what I need.  Or what feels good.  Or how the end of a pressure flaker is supposed to be.   Thanks guys
Westminster, MD

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:17:03 pm »
I learn stuff from books so I got a couple of books to help me get started. Books are tools. Have fun.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:40:39 am »
I have read thru DC waldorf's book.  I got a rough idea. 
Westminster, MD

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 10:52:00 am »
Hey BC,

I hope I'm not breaking the rules here by referring to another web site. As I have said, I am a newbie also and have watched a lot of YouTube videos.  I have found a lot of helpful advise on this sight, however, if you are like me and don't live around anyone that can show you, watching a video is as they say... priceless. Here is a link to Paleoknapperjim's videos.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/4730/t/Paleoknapperjim-39-s-video-links-all-of-em.html

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:48:12 am »
It is also a good idea to go to any Knap-Ins near you.  All knappers had to start at square one and most are happy to coach you along. Some also offer one on one lessons that can get you farther along than just picking things up as you go.  Have fun & good luck on your knapping journey.  Don't forget to save some of your early work so you can measure your progression.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 02:05:45 pm »
Hey BC,

I hope I'm not breaking the rules here by referring to another web site. As I have said, I am a newbie also and have watched a lot of YouTube videos.  I have found a lot of helpful advise on this sight, however, if you are like me and don't live around anyone that can show you, watching a video is as they say... priceless. Here is a link to Paleoknapperjim's videos.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/4730/t/Paleoknapperjim-39-s-video-links-all-of-em.html

Lots of good videos.  Thanks
Westminster, MD