Author Topic: laying out a curved or snakey bow  (Read 2281 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

laying out a curved or snakey bow
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:22:29 pm »
I was wondering how you all lay out the limb taper on a curved limb and get a consistent taper?
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: laying out a curved or snakey bow
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:59:06 pm »
Once you get a center line you measure every 4" to 6" out each limb. At each of these marks measure from the center line over to each side of your limb. Then just connect the dots.
To get the center line I use a tool I made. When I find the pics, I'll post them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 09:23:40 pm »
i get center line mark my handle area and the width of my fades and go by sight of the way the grain goes. get it roughed out look at it and clean it up as needed. need to get pappys 2 cents he is a snakey type of guy. ha ha.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:53:49 pm »
I do about like Pat said. Just follow the grain.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:04:44 am »
Get your center line layed out on the stave. I go by eye...getting my glasses on with the light right and closely following that linear grain full length of the stave. Decide where you want your bow to rest on the stave, and mark the center of the bow on the centerline you've drawn. Lay out your handle and fade area. If you're going to put snake skins on, I usaully opt for the same limb width to midlimb and then start your taper. I usually start off with the tips at 1/2" and narrow them later. I mark lines across the limb every 2" from midlimb to the tips. These lines should be close to 90 degrees off the centerline...with a snakey bow, that may mean all these lines don't look like they're parallel with each other because they're rotating with the curves. If your limb width is 1-1/2" for example at midlimb, along the first 2" line measure out from the centerline on each side dropping maybe a 1/16". Do it in your head first working down the limb for each 2" increment and you want it to end up at your 1/4" for each side at the tips (1/2" tips). If 1/16" increments work out...first marks either side of centerline on your 90 degree line would be 11/16" for each side, next...5/8", next..9/16", next...1/2" and so on. Connect the lines by eye trying to keep it curvey! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:15:53 pm »
Thank you all for all your replies.  I really like your idea GregB. Thank you!
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV