Author Topic: Question About ERC Sapwood  (Read 2282 times)

Offline KShip85

Question About ERC Sapwood
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:18:10 pm »
I just cut a super clean piece of ERC out of the side of a tree tonight and am hoping to make a long bow with it.  It is about 72 inches long and not so much as a pin hole in it.  The only thing I am unsure about is that it is nearly all sapwood.  Does the sapwood perform as well as the heartwood?  I think I read somewhere on here that it takes a little more set.  Also, for anyone who has harvested out of the side of a standing tree, is it necessary to have a notch in the tree for it to heal as was said to be done by the west coast native americans in TBB1 or will conifers still heal if it was a straight cut with a pruning saw.  Main reason I ask is because I am hoping to harvest another stave from the location in a few years as it is so clear of pins and knots.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Question About ERC Sapwood
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:57:37 am »
Sapwood of erc doesn't seem to take any more set then the heartwood. My experience has been that they were about the same, the only difference I could see is the heartwood is a whole lot prettier. ;D
SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:49:31 am »
Two years ago I saw an all sapwood ERC ELB style bow and was amazed at how well it shot and how little set it took. I wouldn't hesitate to use just the sapwood of ERC for any bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:38:05 pm »
Thanks for the help!  Does anyone have experience with harvesting from a standing tree and letting it heal back in to harvest again?  I'm just wondering if I need to go back and cut notches where I cut it off straight. Thanks again!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

orcbow

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:00:20 am »
I think the only difference between a straight - sawed notched and an angled notch is that the angled notch would shed rain better, which may help the tree recover a little faster. Also the tapered transition will be easier for the tree to cover up. Good luck with the bow, ERC is a wonderful wood to work.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:12:05 am »
If you trim the cuts to an angle, it'll heal faster with less chance of decay.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.