Author Topic: Antler tipped ishi stick.  (Read 7318 times)

Offline StevenT

Antler tipped ishi stick.
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:20:13 am »
If this is a stupid question  ??? , just say so. I know different tools work on different rock and in the different stages. I am very new to knapping and so far have had my best luck trying to run flakes with an ishi stick. However, I like the idea of using deer antler to pressure flake, I just haven't had much success at it yet. I have seen video's of people making a small rod out of deer antler and inserting it in the end of an ishi stick instead of copper. I am thinking about making one and giving it a try. I would have a couple questions: Has anyone done this and how did it work for you? Second, and this is part that may sound stupid: Is one part of a deer antler stronger than another part. In other words, if I am going to go through the effort of cutting out a long piece of antler and then going through the effort of shaping and sand it down to something the size of a pencil, I want to use the best part of the antler. Is there any one part or side that is the hardest? Thanks.

Offline DanaM

Re: Antler tipped ishi stick.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:58:44 am »
Never used antler but I believe you want to use a tine or just the end of a tine inserted in a stick.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:41:30 pm »
Yep, the tips work great.  You can also add a set screw to the stick and make several points that are shaped different.  Kinda like a multi tool.  You can have tips that are flat, rounded, and pointy.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:08:08 pm »
Or take the cannon bone from cow. Season it and cut it into needles and then use those.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 02:14:50 pm »
OK, I may be stepping in it, but how do you "season" a bone short of using salt, pepper, etc....

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:20:28 pm »
Stick it under a pile of leaves or composts and let the ants at it for a while then let it dry out a bit. Age is the master here. Just keep an eye on it. After its out of the rubber like new bone state its ready to go.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:54:27 pm »
I made some ishi stick out of dseer antler tines set into the end of bamboo. They work good. I have several different ones with different shaped tines in them.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 03:07:36 pm »
I'm going to try the bamboo. Sound like its right up my alley! Simple and easy to make, that is!  ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:13:14 pm »
Alan Shook (Woodland Roamer) makes some nice antler Ishi sticks by sticking a tine into a piece of cane and wrapping it. They work great. You don't have to work the antler down, just use the end of a tine and keep it sharpened how you want it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:31:45 pm »
Hillbilly,That is where I got the idea from. I saw them at HIckory and copied them ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 09:24:02 pm »
Yeah, there were about ten of us looked at it and went, duh! Why have none of us thought of that before? :) I've spent a lot of time hollowing out split pieces of wood to make antler Ishis in the past. Takes a few minutes to stick a tine in a piece of cane, and works just as good or better.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline aaron

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:37:23 pm »
what i do is get a straight tine and drill a hole into the cut end (like a horn nock), then i insert a stick into the hole- that way you get a nice large handgrip and no chance of breaking ..
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline StevenT

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 09:44:21 am »
I take it if you use bamboo, you would have to split or notch it first befoe wrapping it, right? Anyone got a picture of one made up this way? It sure sounds a lot easier than spliting antler to get a tine.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 12:10:23 pm »
Yeah I've been meaning to get pics of those on here, just haven't done it yet. I cut the cane about two inches below a node and just take a tine and file it down to fit inside. I then melt some pine pitch (you could use modern glue or possibly no glue at all) into the cane and insert the tine. Then wrap with sinew or rawhide to keep the cane from splitting. I usually wrap with leather too to make it more comfortable to use. I'll try to get some pics on later today.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »
Ok here are some pics. In the second pic I removed the leather so you can see where I cut the cane below the node, insert the tine up to the node and then wrap with sinew. It's a good idea to rough up the area under the sinew with a flake or such so the sinew will have something to grip or else it may want to slide off. You can make them double ended too like the top one in the last pic.

Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!