Author Topic: Copper caps for boppers  (Read 5971 times)

Offline StevenT

Copper caps for boppers
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:53:44 pm »
I have searched and found many threads on using copper caps for boppers.  When you by a cap, it is flat. Is there an easy way to round the end out? I have tried putting the cap over something rounded and hammering it, but all the cap does is move around on whater it is sitting on.

Offline DanaM

Re: Copper caps for boppers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 12:57:55 pm »
I've used carriage bolts held head up in a vice and gently tapped to shape it, gotta use a bolt with a head suitable to the cap size.
Also try the ball end on a ball peen hammer, or shape a piece of wood to the right shape and use that to form the cap.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »
I found a good site for building your own boppers.
Try knappingnewmexico.com
Thanks Leroy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:31:08 am by Justin Snyder »
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline StevenT

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:57:15 pm »
You guys are great. All I have to do is take Dana's carriage bolt suggestion and use the technique from the video and I should be able to form my caps with no problems. Plus on the NewMexico site, I saw a couple videos I had not seen before. Thank you both for the great pointers.

Offline xin

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 03:28:09 am »
Harbor Freight sells a doming  kit for all size domes for about $30.  You're then fixed for making a lifetimes worth of tools.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 10:05:20 am »
Harbor Freight sells a doming  kit for all size domes for about $30.  You're then fixed for making a lifetimes worth of tools.

In all of my Trips to Harbor Freight....I have never seen this Tool Zin....what was it called? And what was it's intended purpose? That way I can go in and ask for it ...without getting that  "Deer In The Headlights Look"  from the Salespeople........ :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:20:47 am »
I remember seeing a video online of a guy that was using the caps without having shaped them at all. yes, he was knocking off some great flakes using a flat copper cap simply pushed onto a short length of copper tubing.
....it's worth a try anyhow, huh ?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:24:22 am »
I remember seeing a video online of a guy that was using the caps without having shaped them at all. yes, he was knocking off some great flakes using a flat copper cap simply pushed onto a short length of copper tubing.
....it's worth a try anyhow, huh ?

i have a copper pipe thats .75" in diameter(it is hollow)one end i have a domed cap filled with lead,the other just regular flat cap unweighted
both ends work well.i also have a solid copper bopper,and a small .5 inch copper pipe with a domed lead filled cap
but i seem to be able to use hammer stones with better control
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline xin

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 12:24:56 am »
Destructo, It's just called a dome kit.  You'll see it on their intermet catalog.  That's where I ordered mine.  Well worth it if you intend to make your own tools.. With it you can make any size bopper you want.  Using copper is a real boon to me since I have no access to antler other than ordering it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 08:31:00 pm »
 I use the Flat top cap on my boppers. They work great.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 09:37:43 pm »
Go out and find you some stones and expirement with them. You will eventually pick out the ones that work the best. That will cost nothing but time. I love my hammer stones.  ;D
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

PW

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 05:40:32 pm »
  I use a carriage bolt. Lay a scrap piece of  leather on ground . Lay cap on leather and insert  bolt.  Beat with large hammer till rounded. The I use a smaller bolt to futher dome out.  Will there be a point challenge this month. PW

Offline StevenT

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 06:36:36 pm »
Thanks for all the different suggestiions. I bought a couple carriage bolts and gave tht a try. I put caps on a 2X4 and was able to dome the caps with no problem. I now have a selection of .5, .75, and 1 inch boppers both with leaded domed caps and unleaded flat caps. I have copper handled ones and wood handled. And yes, for all of you who suggested stones, I have also gathered a pretty good selection of hammer stones.  Why so many... besides seeing how to make them, I also want to try different things. Since I am just starting and it is all new, I just want to get a feel for the different tools. I am sure I will eventually settle on a favorite.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:16:54 pm by StevenT »