Author Topic: Yay or Nay?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline NTD

Yay or Nay?
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:14:22 am »
http://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/1402327587.html

Would this be a good bandsaw for someone who mostly works with boards?  I'm in a desert and don't expect to get my hands on too many staves :(

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 03:54:41 am »
Can't beat it for the price, with a premium blade you can do quite a bit of basic cutting with it, it is a hobby class saw however
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:41:01 am »
I bought my 12" craftsman for $20-25 at a garage sale.  That is a good/decent price here, don't know about there.  Plus you have to wait till you find one, and that could be next week or next year.  I'd only buy a Harbor Freight if I did not already own one, and really needed it now (which I've done and will again).

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:09:09 am »
for boards i think you'd be OK, but if you decide to buy new be sure to check out Grizzly, they have many, many options of bandsaws, and i have been very happy with mine. like zen said, a good blade on any bandsaw makes a world of difference, also just make sure that the wheels, rollers, blade guides, etc are all in alignment and you'll be ready to make sawdust.
45# at 27"

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 01:07:12 am »
I bought a 12" new from Lowes and wish I would have spent the extra money and bought a 14" Mine works ok , but the blade likes to walk and the motor is under powered. Do your self a favor and buy a good 14 " if you can aford it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline shamus

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 01:59:48 pm »
NAY. too small and under-powered.

look for 14", 3-4-1 HP.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 02:17:12 pm »
For that   price  a  basic  saw  is  always useful, and  it  will motivate  you  to buy  a  better  quality  one later
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Grunt

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:18:19 pm »
Nay,Nay, Nay,  I have owned four bandsaws over the last 35 years and that little toy it will severely limit what you can make with it, you will burn it up in short order. If you are making models out of balsa wood then the small tools will work for you. Bow wood will eat that toy for breakfast. Think of tools as investments rather than expenses. Check out Grizzly Tools. The old 20" Yates American saw I have now has a 144" blade, it's third 2hp motor and was built in the 40's.