Author Topic: Mythbusters tests primitive arrows.....  (Read 10591 times)

Offline billy

Mythbusters tests primitive arrows.....
« on: September 03, 2009, 02:00:07 am »
Here's a video showing the Mythbusters team testing sharp wooden tipped arrows vs. stone-tipped arrows. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWrb3EWWgM&feature=related
Marietta, Georgia

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: Mythbusters tests primitive arrows.....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:03:38 am »
Some  interesting  points  but the  guy  with  the  caveman  suit was  so  ridiculous  I  couldn't  sit thru  the  entire video:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:25:05 pm »
Interesting but: Killing power is #1 Sharp stick just plug the hole.What happened to weight forward?
Should have been cane or some kind of other shoot for the arrow.also shot from a primitive bow
not a golden eagle center shot boat anchor.      ???A master knapper could knock a point out fairly quick
function over beauty.jmo  I do like the show it has some interesting stuff.
Thanks Leroy  ;D
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:20:37 pm »
Exactly what the cavedude says in the last sentence: creativity is what impresses the ladies (I know that for sure, I'm a musician)!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:33:42 pm »
Wouldn't you all love to get paid(and well I would imagine) for doing what those guys do. I love their show and their expressions when they get to blow something up.  ;D
  Their theory was flawed comparing a sharpened stick to a knapped point. Two different types of wounds. The sharpened stick would plug it's wound and not allow too much blood loss, even inside the animal. Once it was pulled the bleeding would begin. The stone point would begin cutting as soon as it hit skin and continue cutting as long as it remained inside the animal. What would the sharpened stick do when it hit bone?  I was surprised the stone head didn't penetrate better...but ballistic gel isn't the best test medium, is it Billy?  ;)
 Some ancient Europeans would use sharpened sticks but add micro blades along the sides. I saw a similar point that James Parker(Robustus) built and hunted with, successfully! It was an antler tine tip with 5 micro blades inlet into the side of the tip. Sort like the old Satellite replaceable blade points.
  I love mythbusters! ;D 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 04:40:02 pm »
on any projectile test those two do, they test penetration, wich means very little in comparrison to damage done to the critter, i think.
lets just shoot it

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 04:48:33 pm »
ok, i was deeply anoyed within the first two minutes of the vid. first, they were calling obsidian flint. however, i couldnt find much els to insult. adam is a pretty good knaper, and i actually thought the stick would penatrate further. oh, and their arrows were probably realy off spine, and i am positive that moste of you guys could put up a MUCH better group than that.
lets just shoot it

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 05:27:40 pm »
I agree that there were some flaws in their tests.  first off, I don't feel that ballistic gel is an accurate representation of a real body.  Bodies have bones, sinew, fat, and organs, all of which are different in consistency, and would present different amounts of impediment to penetration.  Also, I feel that ballistic gel "grabs" an arrow much more than real flesh.  Blood and internal fluids act as a lubricant, something lacking in ballistic gel.  Also, some of those arrows didn't appear to be matched in spine because they were flopping around in flight.

It was interesting, but I think the main advantage of stone points is what Cavedude wannabe said: That stone points cut a much larger wound, meaning faster hemorrhage and a much quicker death to the animal. 

Also, I doubt that Jamie made those stone points....did you see his pressure flaking technique???  It was AWFUL!!  Totally wrong, angle with no abrading.....  trust me....he didn't make those points!   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:38:57 pm »
huh. didnt take the time to notice that. i was to anoyed at the fact that they were calling the obsidian flint.

and you have a great point on the way the jell grabs the arrow, i didnt think of that one.

man we are some tough critics aint we?  ;D
lets just shoot it

Shadow Walker

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 05:49:11 pm »
they didn't take into consideration that any type of gel, foam ect, will bind against the shaft, slowing it down. When a sharp broadhead enters flesh, the flesh "opens up" as it slices which would give the arrow considerably more penetration. ( untill it hits bone )

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 06:18:13 pm »
wel nothing on that surprised me
once again they did it half heartedly,like all their tests
however,Adam did point out that the stone head(obsidion in this case)creates a larger wound channel
therfore allowing the animal to bleed out quicker.
who knows maybe the started with just pointed sticks for poking and stabbing,and over a millenia
learned that adding a sharp rock to the end made for faster and more frequent recovery of game
which means more food,and thats protien.
protien allowed for better brain development,which in turn allowed for more learning ability,which in turn allowed for
the creations of new technologies(what we now call primitive)
personnaly i think if they would have contacted theright people when doing their research for the episode,they could have done better testing
with the appropriate equipment and also the proper knowledge to understand some of the theings ya'll have mentione,like the resistance
differances bewenn flesh and bullistics gel,how it close around a projectil and flesh would open etc.
as far as calling the obsidion flint, i think they were just generalizing with that.if Jamie knew how to knapp,he knew there was a differance between the two.
but like i said,they always do their testing half assed
but i still enjoy the show,who doesnt like to watch stuff blow up >:D 8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 08:07:00 pm »
Instead of ballistic gel they should have at least used pig ;D Then have a barbeque afterwords :)

Come on guys you all watch mythbusters not just for the explosions but also the cute redhead ::) :P ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 09:57:42 pm »
yup. im pretty sure she's a....."model"
lets just shoot it

Offline StevenT

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:01:10 pm »
And that is what was wrong with their test, she wasn't in the video.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 06:28:49 am »
Cool,I haven't seen that one. The wheels didn't really fit in to well. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good