Author Topic: Rhyolite  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

Rhyolite
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:06:05 am »
http://dirtyrockhounds.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=artifacts1&action=display&thread=6484

I hope this posts OK.  Joe sent me this link from the rockhound website he belongs to.  He is getting some Rhyloite ready for the knap-in.  Some of it looks pretty dandy too. Hope you all can get out and bust a rock with us.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline warhawk

Re: Rhyolite
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:20:48 pm »
I was watching a program that said that the best ryolite you can get is in the uhwarrie mountians.  Could you inform me about locations to find this type of stone because i been flint knapping for 2 years and i usaully buy from flintknappingtools.com. warhawk
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline toms22

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:00:51 pm »
I am planning on coming to the knap in. In Burlington and I would like to try some of the rhyolite. I have just started learn to knap. I also have a large point that I would like to show and get some pointers. Will there be some knappers there to get some help. I hope this post about rhyolite flint.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:13 pm »
There'll be a bunch of us whacking rock there, just jump in with us.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:49:47 pm »
I have a big piece of rhyolite I am trying to get spalled out. If I can make it I will bring it. It came from Uwahrie. Not telling how it got to my house out of the National Forest, since it is illegal to take stuff out of a national forest.  ;)
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:20:17 am »
As far as I know, I will be there with a baseball bat in hand. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:46:20 am »
There also used to be a great source of some outstanding rhyolite in Chatham  County. It was utilized for thousands of years by the ancient people.  To this day, I have never seen so many chips in one place.  Literally, you could not put your foot down without standing on at least dozen flakes in the main 7 acre core area.  The concentration was heavier is some spots and it tapered out as you left the core area. I also had an arrowhead hunting field nearby that was also covered with big chips, that's part of what lead to understanding that there had to be a quarry site close by. I found it back in the early 1980s when I had permission to deer hunt there when it was all forest. Sections of the farm path were almost paved with chips, so many that it was difficult to walk quietlt down the road when hunting...or anytime really.  Then, the land sold & it was logged, revealing how big the site truly was. Sadly, it also got developed into a subdivision.  The developer had a big trench dug with a bulldozer and pushed some of the bigger rocks of rhyolite into the trench.  Now, there are houses, lawns, and streets over that site.

When it was logged, people started coming and searching the site for arrowheads. Since it was a quarry site, you were far more likely to find broken points, blanks, and axe heads. Others (like Joe, our friend Bobby, me, & who knows all else) loaded up on rock.  Joe hauled tons of the stuff out of there, while I took maybe a thousand pounds. I have a few hundred pounds left. Some of that rock is what Joe will be selling & what is pictured in the above link.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:10:49 pm »
Good looking rock Jim, I can't wait to see it in person this weekend.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!