Author Topic: sycamore  (Read 2201 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
sycamore
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:16:49 pm »
there were some great and informative replies to the cypress stave's , i have lots of cypress on my place and had been wondering if it could be used . the other wood I'm curious about is sycamore i have some huge sycamore trees along the creek and wondered if anyone has any experience with it as a bow wood ?

Offline Parnell

Re: sycamore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:14:49 pm »
Haven't seen any info on it.  Wish I could offer you 2 cents, but no idea...
1’—>1’

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:27:05 pm »
I think if you do an advanced search on sycamore here you'll find a lot of info.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:23 pm »
Hi,  Another poorly informed opinion, but people have asked here before and the reply has always been "should work."   I've been looking for a decent stave to give it a try.  The smaller limbs I've collected have a a light, but springy wood.  Some have mentioned that the wood is hard to split and a lot like slippery elm.   Collect some staves and give it a try.  Or send one to me and I'll try.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:20:11 pm »
i used the advanced search came up with some nice pics and info . thanks for a point in the right direction , eldestructo has some really great pics of sycamore bows that he has made , thanks a lot guys

Offline staveshaver

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 01:12:58 am »
TTBB volume four lists it as a decent bow wood not very dense though so use a long, wide design.