Author Topic: Tan-A-Long  (Read 34097 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Tan-A-Long
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 12:40:50 am »
Jeff...where are you getting Bulk Aluminm Sulfate at? I really need some....I have a good supply of Sulfuric Acid.... now I need the others!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 10:58:46 am »
Youngbowyer- Yep, squirrels are an easy tan with this method.

El Destructo-  I get my Aluminum Sulfate from Univar, but have also got it from Brenntag.  If I remember from one of your posts, you work at a Refinery...Univar should have a strong presence in their so contact the rep and I bet he would give you a good deal.  Any chemical distributor would work (Univar, Brenntag, Ashland, Harcross, etc).  You could probably contact one of the industrial cleaners (PSC, Hydrochem, etc) and they should be able to help you out.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 11:04:08 am »
Thanks Jeff ...I have a Hydrochem Company in Town...also Univar too! Also how do you Pickle with Sulfuric Acid...just add till you get the proper PH?? I am wanting to do a Hair-On Tan with a Cow Elk Hide....I tried for two Months to give it away so I could get room in my Freezer...but nobody wants to pay Shipping....and I ain't shipping it for Free!! So I will tan it myself I guess

This has been a a very Informative Tan a Long....I appreciate the time you have taken and can't wait for the Ending!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 11:16:57 am »
El D- Just add the sulfuric until the PH gets between 2-3.  Sulfuric is a strong acid so it will drop really fast once it starts to go down.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline HoBow

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 11:42:42 am »
Once I pulled the hides out of the tanning solution, I let them sit until they are almost dry.  Becuase it has been extremely wet and humid here lately, I actually let them sit for about 36 hours and they were still a little wet, but I started to work them anyway.  I did a few hides this summer where I sat them on the hood of my car and came back 10 minutes later and they were stiff as a board.  You can tell they are ready to work when you stretch the hides and they hold the form well and are not floppy.

Picture 1- Through every step, I continue to puill the extra fat, meat, and grizzle off.  Most of this came off the edges as I am just going to cut the edges off anyway so I did not work them that much.

Picture 2- I am actually tanning three hides throug this process.  I wanted to post this hide to show everyone that it is not that different from building bows.  You can do everything correct and still have problems.  It might be the hide (or wood) and the project was a disaster from the get-go without even knowing.  This particular hide tore a bit easier when I was cleaning it.  There were some black spots on the hide, but I just assumed it was bruised.  I don't think it is mold as it will not wipe off, and I'm not sure this even caused the probelms.

Picture 3-  This is the same hide.  I had several spots of bad hair slippage.  I know it was not the process as the other two hides had minimal slippage.  I will probably end up dehairing the entire hide and use the leather for other projects like bow handles.

Picture 4- This was a bit hard to document as I was alone.  You need to work the hide from every angle; diagonal and side to side.  Stretching will take several hours depending on the weather.  If it is humid, it could take an entire day.  If the weather is more dry, you could probably do it in an hour or two.  Unfortunately, living on the gulf coast this is a very long process for me as we are extremely humid most of the year.

Picture 5- Continue stretching

Picture 6- Continue stretching

The more you stretch it, the softer it will get.  I have worked hides until they were as soft and flexable as a leather jacket you buy at the store.  I have also let stay stiff depending on the project.  I will work these hides, but not a great deal as they are going to be used for quivers.  They need to stay a bit stiff for this, in my opinion.  Breaking the hide in is complete when you can't stretch the hide and it is dry.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline HoBow

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 12:05:16 pm »
Once the hide has been completely broken in, take a days rest because your hands will need it.   ;D  Depending on what you are doing with the leather, you can do a few things to continue to soften it, especially if you are turning it into mocassins or a clothes.  Get a pumice stone (not your wifes, trust me on this one >:D ) and work the flesh side.  You can get these at Wal-Mart or Walgreens.  Don't bother with this unless the leather will touch your skin.  This does turn it velvet soft, though.

Picture 1-  Neatsfoot oil- I rub this into most of my projects just to make it a bit softer.

Picture 2-  If you have a project in mind and want to leave the hide a bit stiff, work it as much as you are going to and let dry on a form.  This hide, I let dry on a drum so it would have a more round form for the quiver.  If you let it dry out to much, rub some of the tanning solution on the hide and start working it again until the point you want and then put it on the form.  The nice thing about this is if you do let it dry to much and have to put more of the tanning solution on it, you will not be starting from scratch.  Once you have streched the fibers, they are much easier to work and will not get stiff as easily.

Picture 3- I was also tanning about 12 dew claw pieces.  I have seen some dew claw bags that looked awesome, so I decided to try and make one.  As you can tell, I don't let much of a deer go to waste.  I saved the toes thinking I will figure something to do with them. I've heard of people making rattlers with them, but not sure what I will be doing with these.  Anyone know if you could make bow tips with them?  I still have the leg bones and though about making a knife out of one and some tools out of others (Pappy just posted some cool pics of the tools and jackcrafty just did an awesome knife for the kith- perhaps a build along for that is in order  :) ).

Picture 4- Here is the finished hide.  I will be sending this out shortly for the Tom B Memorial Project so Pat can turn it into a quiver.  I've never made a quiver, but thought I might try with one of these. 

Picture 5-  This was a bow grip that I tanned from a hide a few years ago.  I just finished this bow and will be posting pics of it in the bow section.  I smoked the leather so it would look better with the copperhead and osage.  The leather comes out ivory white, which looks good on some projects, but I like to smoke or dye leather for most projects.  Smoking leather can be a fun process, but it is an exhausting one in my opinion.  If you don't watch it carefully, you can ruin all the work from turning the hide into leather.

Well, that's how I tan my hides.  There are many ways, but this is my preference.  I would like to do a brain-tan, but never have.  Perhaps someone who has done this would do a brain-tan-a-long for me ;D  If anyone has any questions about the process, feel free to ask.  Thanks for looking.

Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 12:07:02 pm »
So when you are Stretching this...are you doing it over the Wire Spool? And are you stretching it on th Hair Side or Hide? I have always done mine over a Post in the Ground...but this takes forever since the Post is only about 6 inches in diameter!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 12:20:39 pm »
El D-  I do it by hand on the flesh side.  This is by far not the easiest, but I will usually sit down and start stretching.  I pulled this picture of the internet of one way of stretching it.  Once you get it strung up, you can use a broom handle or something larger in diameter and start pushing in on the hide and working it that way.  This allows it to dry quicker and breaks the hide much quicker, but  I just prefer to work the hide by hand.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:26:36 pm by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 01:17:47 pm »
could you take a rubber headed mallet to the hide?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline HoBow

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 09:48:51 pm »
Youngbowyer- Not sure if that would work as you do not necessarily hit the hide, you are pushing in on it to stretch it.  You can use a rubber mallet to lightly hit the hide after youi put the neatsfoot oil on it.  This works it in better, but I usually just rub it in.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:27:37 pm by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 02:27:15 am »
Jeff can you post a pic of how you have the stings tied to the hide? Thanks Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 06:25:50 am »
Great Tan Along Jeff and the hide looks great also :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline HoBow

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 11:09:01 am »
Deerhunter- That was a picture I pulled of the internet.  I never have stretched a hide that way.  If you have a large hide (axis deer are small), it would be imperative to use that.    I would assume they just tied a simple slip knot, but not sure.  El D- I've never seen an elk hide, but I believe they are big, so this design would probably be helpful.

Thanks Dana!  I'm glad I could be part of the memorial project and it worked out that I got to document it in this manner.  I get great satisfaction when I complete a hide, just like a bow, and it feels better it is going for such a nice project!  Now I just have to ship it to Pat and let him do his magic.  My next project will be a quiver out of one of the other hides  ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 01:44:44 pm »
Jeff, would you have a pic of you and the hide taken, and be sure it if high resolution. ;)  You can e-mail it to me( marciaandpat@citcom.net )
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 06:31:54 pm »
Great tan along I've done it with little kits. But it's great to know the actual clemicals.
The hide looks super i'm sure Pat will make a wonderful quiver out of it. Thank you for
taking the time to do this.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano