Author Topic: Smoking clothes  (Read 14776 times)

Offline Timo

Smoking clothes
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:55:12 am »
 I was reading about the home brew cover scents on in primitive skills. Never really tried that and don't use a lot of cover scents per say. Just always tried to hunt the wind and stay clean.

I have use white wood ashes with  good success (maybe be the charcoal in them)and also carry red cedar berries in my pockets,just smash them in my hands and wipe down with them.They seem to help alot.

Question......has anyone here ever did the "smoked clothes" thing? I've had a few hunting friends say it works. I've never tried it on purpose,but have had them smoked around hunting camps and such. Never noticed much difference.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Smoking clothes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:05:17 am »
No...I just keep mine in the Wife's Cedar Chest all Year Long...and since where I Hunt has Native Cedars....seems to work just Great....ain't never been winded yet!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:10:19 am »
No...I just keep mine in the Wife's Cedar Chest all Year Long...and since where I Hunt has Native Cedars....seems to work just Great....ain't never been winded yet!
Well, at least not that you are aware of.  8)

I like to keep odor to a minimum and use the wind in my favor. Skunk is as strong a cover scent as you can find. But you still smell like a hunter, just one that has been sprayed by a skunk.  :-\
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:14:42 am »
Tim, I see smoke as a nature neutral scent and not alarming to animals...but that depends on the source of the smoke. If it is from a controlled fire with natural, local materials like wood and grasses it should not necessarily startle  animals but if you use the common campfire smoke you are probably getting beer and soda cans, plastic bottles, plates and cups, uneaten food, etc mixed in and this can be alarming to animals that are being hunted.
   That said, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you hunt into the wind and go into the woods clean. Cover scents make us, the hunter, seem invisible but in fact, no matter what or how much cover scent one uses, if your scent stream hits an animal's nose, the game is over. The same goes with commercial camo. Is it necessary? Is it the pattern you wear or your actions(or inaction's) in the woods that makes you invisible?  
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 02:16:44 pm »
I never use any cover scent. I try to smell as much like "nothing" as possible and don't think cover scent works.  I believe a deer's nose is so sensitive that he can still pick up human odor even if you soak down in cover scent.
  Smoking your clothes might work, but IMO that's just another odor to catch his attention.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:19:33 pm »
 I'm with Shannon. I think scent cover is just another gadgit for people that like to collect hunting gadgits. I pay close attention to the wind and might walk 2 or 3 miles more than I wanted because the wind changed directions. And I hunt mostly from the ground.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:56:08 pm »
i dont use any sprays,anymore.
however i do keep all my hunting clothes and boots in HUNTER SPECIALTIES scent proof bags.
this keeps any odors during the year from getting on my gear,plus i like to put about 3-4 earth scent wafers in there
along with 3-4 acorn scent wafers.i also store my double bull blind this way.
when you open the bags,that all you smell is dirt and acorns.
i have had deer with in 1yd of my blind,they have even hung around for several hours.
i never shot any of them,they were always younger bucks and never felt like they were worthy.
this was when i hunted with my training wheels yet,now let one get that close and he will bleed reardless of the age >:D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 05:35:38 pm »
I don't get to hunt very much but when I do I usually get pretty close to the wildlife...and I don't do anything to cover my scent.  I've tried staying upwind but it doesn't seem to make much difference.  I find that animals are curious of human smells and will actually come closer, in search of food scraps and such, if I'm hunting close to a city.  I think the further out you are from civilization, the more wary animals will be of your human scent.

The techniques that I've read about, among the Native Americans, seem to concentrate on silence, camouflage, decoys, and concealment.  If there is mention of covering scents, it is usually a scent of the prey (like the dung) that is applied to the hunter.  Also, I've heard that Indians would fast before hunting so that their breath would not stink and also so they would not pass gas during the hunt.   ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 06:20:38 pm »
All interesting stuff.

The reason I started useing white wood ashes was from a story I read once about a couple Indian brothers that had a game of who could touch a deer. Seems that they  bathed down in white wood ashes thus cleansing the outer skins.

Interesting that JackCrafty brought up a good point about fasting.Fasting will also detox the body of any unnatural scents that permiate through the skin.I just get to hungry for that. ;) We are what we eat. so many pores on our skin that release whats inside. I quit drinking coffee before a hunt because of this.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 07:45:28 pm »
"You are what you eat"  Huh!  I'm not a big beer drinker, but I hear it's made from grains and barley and stuff like that...deer like grain ::)  Maybe if I drink more beer, the deer will like the way I smell and come closer :o ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 08:15:06 pm »
i use smoke but im with shannon. A buddy of mine smokes cigs in the stand and still kills deer. The wind is what matters
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 11:19:55 pm »
i use smoke but im with shannon. A buddy of mine smokes cigs in the stand and still kills deer. The wind is what matters

my brother hubts with a dude that only smokes during deer season,big ol stogies
every year he gets one of the biggest deer that see killed during the season
personally i think its curiosity,they smell the smoke,they get curious if its a danger or not so they come to investigate
before they flee

maybe i should take up smoking again and quit drinking coffee
nah 28 yrs of it before i quit,damn sure not gonna start that again,even if it means killing deer       lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 11:43:14 pm »
I ain't smoked in over 20 years ...and there isn't a Deer Big enough to get Me to Start again......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 10:00:13 am »
What I get a kick out of is folks that pee in a bottle while 20 feet up in a tree, then carry their pee out with them :P

If I have to pee I just let er go off the stand and it never appears to have bothered the deer.

Can't see paying out my money for scentloc clothes, de-odorizing spray, cover scents etc etc etc or high dollar camo clothing, I have
some camo clothes but all of it was bought back in my wheelie days when I had to have the latest thingamajiggy every season :o

I also don't waste money on doe in heat lure most of it is way over priced and is pretty useless, at least I've never had a deer come in to it >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline terence pinder

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 10:07:00 am »
i hang green apple car air freshners around my stands and then i put the same ones in my truck, that way i smell like green apples and the deer are used to that smell,has worked so far.