Author Topic: Smoking clothes  (Read 14775 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Smoking clothes
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 10:08:52 am »
If I am up in a Tree Stand sitting....I will Pee in a Bottle....but that cause I don't want to pee on my Pants and sit there in wet britches all damned day long....it's easier to pee in a 24 ounce Pepsi Bottle than it is to make sure that you are clear of all of your Hunting Clothes at 6 am in the Dark....... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 10:12:30 am »
Mike isn't it hard to hit the little opening on a bottle in the dark ::) :P

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 10:31:51 am »
I just close My Eyes....aint never had a Problem hitting a little opening in the Dark......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 10:33:10 am »
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JustAim

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 11:39:37 am »
l dont use anything to cover my scent. l believe if it comes in a bottle it aint natural, no matter what the label says. l do most of my hunting on the property my employer owns....600 acres of good hunting ground. When l punch out on the time clock l grab my weapon from the truck and head for the woods, still wearing the same clothes l've been in all day at work and can get in close enough to deer that will make your heart want to jump out of your chest. l dont care about the wind, l hunt from all sides and last year l walked out of the woods dragging a deer behind me everytime l went in. l stalk, and at 5'6'' l can get around the woods without being seen pretty good and when l spot deer l follow their lead...when they move, l move alittle faster...when they stop, l sit and wait. l've had them smell me in the past but never saw me so they werent too alarmed and keep doing they're thing. l've been hunting like this for years and more times then not, l come out on top.   

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 04:39:38 pm »
I don't use cover scents, but if I was going to, it wouldn't be out of a bottle. I've tried that scent killer spray on my boots before, don't know if it helps or not. I think the wind is the main thing. If you're downwind, you're invisible. If you're upwind, you're busted no matter what you're using. You might be able to fool deer into thinking that you're further away than you really are, though, dunno. I'd like to hunt some of these places y'all are at where you don't have to worry about the wind and that deer don't spook if they smell you-around here, if a deer crosses three hundred yards downwind of you, it'll blow and haul butt away from there. Several times, I've had deer see me and not spook until they smelled me, then it was all over. I think that the nose is what a deer trusts a lot more than its eyes or ears. I've found the same thing to be true of hogs, you can let them see you if you're not making sudden movements, but the second they smell you, they're gone like they were never there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 05:13:40 pm »
If I am up in a Tree Stand sitting....I will Pee in a Bottle....but that cause I don't want to pee on my Pants and sit there in wet britches all damned day long....it's easier to pee in a 24 ounce Pepsi Bottle than it is to make sure that you are clear of all of your Hunting Clothes at 6 am in the Dark....... >:D

heck i use a hunting blind and i keep a pee bottle in there too
dont want splatter hitting my blind, and i dont leave the blind unless i am off to do some scounting or leaving for the day or best case scenario
getting out to go gather my prize ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline PeteC

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:09 pm »
Same as a lot of you,I use no cover scent,even use" Off",when the skeeters are real bad.But I work real hard to be down wind.And yes ,I do get busted every now and then,but that's deer huntin'. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:06 am »
I try and watch the wind but in These TN. hills you would be changing stands every 15 mi. if you stay with the wind right.I try and keep clean and usually pull some cedar off as I walk in and rub down with it from time to time,thats about it.I put a thread in the tree or on the bow tip where if they are coming in I can tell better when I need to shoot.If the wind is good I can take my time if not I can shoot at the first best opportunity.Also depends on where you hunt,if a deer spooked bad every time they smelled a human around home they couldn't go anywhere,on the other hand at Land between lake where we hunt they may not smell a man all year till hunting season and they react very different.  :) I just try and keep clean and let the chips fall where they may.If you put the time in there will be a stupid one come along now and then. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 12:35:12 am »
Started bow hunting 36 years ago and learned long ago that store bought scents were almost never right for the area that I was in.  That being said, I also learned to use what ever was naturally prodominate and blooming where ever I was. If in sage then i would wipe down with the sage that was blooming or if in allot of fir trees,then fir.  The trick is to blend in and not send anything to alert.  If in an apple orchard then smell like an apple.
  Pumice and other things like ash and even backing powder will cut human odor as well. And the food info is correct. If you eat allot of meat you will give off the scent of a predator more then if on a diet of greens. Just as much as mesquites are more attracted to someone who eats allot of bananas. (because of the potassium) So If you want to be hard core about scent control and getting close this is how, but nothing is as important and wind savvy. I have been close enough to touch elk and deer many times.

Offline Timo

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:21 am »
Didn't know that about bananas Keenan. I like them because they have no bones! ;D

The native Americans used to smoke their buckskin for waterpfoofing,so was just wondering if anyone had really tried it for a season. I have alot of ERC in my area, I was thinking of trying to smoke my clothes over it this year  as a test. I mean....what's another year? EH? ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 10:26:33 pm »
  Timo, instead of smoking them in cedar I'd box or bag them in cedar chips or the needles.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »
I've boxed them for years, with good results,(I guess)? ;D I just thought I might try something different.I've heard of this for a long time and just never tried it. Ya never know,it just might have merit? ;)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:21 pm »
like I said earlier in this Post...I have been putting all of my Hunting Clothes in my Wife's Cedar Chest for Years with great results...as for Smoking Clothes....Well I have smoked a lotta Rope in my Time....but never any Clothes........... :P ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 08:51:46 pm »
i hang green apple car air freshners around my stands and then i put the same ones in my truck, that way i smell like green apples and the deer are used to that smell,has worked so far.

huh. i dip. (yeah i know, terrible habbit.  :-[) green apple skoal? smells jist like green apple suckers and what not.
lets just shoot it