Author Topic: point of the month?  (Read 9316 times)

Offline knap_123

Re: point of the month?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 10:30:12 am »
i've got some rock cooking, so i'll try and make oe when its done.  need to make up some tools also.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 04:31:38 pm »
I have a lot of trouble with these points.  To make one right, the notches should be punched and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. >:(
  Here's one of my real ones.  I'll try and see if I can make one this weekend.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Newbow

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 07:03:41 pm »
Here's another try; my first ever attempt to use chert.  This is one of the spalls I got at the Keokuk quarry.  Craig said it needed to be cooked, but I thought I'd try it raw.  The piece was pretty flat except for a big bulb of percussion.  I could hardly get a flake to go more than an inch and I didn't get it very thin (3/8"; about half of what it started at) which left me unable to drive the notches very far.  I was afraid to try punching it.  I've never had chert to work with before, but I think I'm gonna like it.  Compared to obsidian, this stuff is tough as hell!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 10:03:57 pm »
 Nice try, newboy, it's a lot easier heat treating it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 10:09:33 pm »
So these points are only seratred once on each side?? Or is it only beveled once on each side??
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:58 pm »
They were only sharpened on one side of each face.  It's a more efficient way of resharpening a blade.
 The points you see that are steeply beveled, have been sharpened several times.  A newly made Lost Lake would not show any beveling until it had been resharpened a couple times.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline nugget

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 10:25:38 pm »
Ok I think I understand. I will see what I can knock out this weekend.
Thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 12:21:57 pm »
Not much time fer knappin lately, but I did manage to peck out this 'un.  It ain't very slick though. The rock had a big concrete like spot in it and my flakes just wouldn't run right.
 I'll try again with a better rock.

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 08:09:11 pm »
Thats a beaut Saw Filer , here is my  try.

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 08:10:52 pm »
forgot?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 08:47:04 pm »
Nice work guys.  Those are some good looking points. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline nugget

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 10:08:31 pm »
I broke 3 points today trying to corner notch them.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 04:52:32 pm »
Still on vacation but pulled out a chunck of Burlington I nabbed at flint ridge.It was about as smooth as a red brick but knapped a little better.

I'll try another when I get back to the swamp
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 05:34:25 pm »
i made a cool looking one outa some horse creek. pappy will post a pic tomarrow, also knapped something else.
 Thats a good one shanon. next time your down at the bow rang i'll show you how to do those very deep notches without a punch.
 Thats purdy bonepile.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:45:42 pm by leapingbare »
Mililani Hawaii

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 06:49:19 pm »
I wasn't too happy with the first try, so I thought I'd give it another go.  This time with some Knife river.  My butt hole was puckered every time I'd hit that punch when I was notching it :o  It all worked out...no super glue this time ;D
 These are one of my favorite point types and HARD to get a good authentic one.

Jesse, I'll be down Oct. 8-10 I hope you can make it over. I'll take all the tips you want to offer. ;)
 Yea Bonepile, that is pretty.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:15:40 pm by Saw Filer »