Author Topic: Hmm so close  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Dave 55

Hmm so close
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:47:04 pm »
Went out Saturday morning the wind was right so I climbed up in one of my stands,about one hour later a big mature doe comes into a shooting lane in the pines,everything felt  right when I dropped the string but I shot just in front of her a clean miss.Must have let my bow hand jump on release,let my hackberry bow down.20 yards broadside.Oh well their will always be next time.
Now is the good old days

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Hmm so close
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 04:50:34 pm »
Dang. Hate that for you. Hope I get a chance like that this year.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:31:16 am »
It happens. I have done that many times. :) She won today,you may win tomorrow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:09:03 am »
I hate it when that happens! but I think every one of us has done it.

BUT.... better a clean miss than a bad hit.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
if you hit everything you shoot at you will get tierd of cleaning deer and wont go as much so missing is a blessing in disguise.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 12:43:19 pm »
Yup it happens and I know it is all part of it,even the mistakes can make you smile----after a day or too,good luck to you all,Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 03:05:50 pm »
Dave, The first deer(s) I shot at with trad gear were misses. I had a line of 5 bucks from a big 6pt down to a spike following a hot doe. I only had 3 arrows with me and I missed 3 times in the matter of minutes...climbed down and retrieved my arrows, got back in my stand and missed 3 more...all in less than 10 minutes.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 06:17:38 pm »
I always  figure  if  i  got  a  shot then  I've  had  a  danged  fine  time  in  the  woods,  a  little humbled  but  at  least  i  don't  have  to clean any  game  when  I  get  home:)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 10:07:13 am »
Pat what a hoot that must have been,you definetly had your stand in the right spot.
Now is the good old days

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 11:57:27 am »
  I was hunting a game mgt. area(Victoria Bluff WMA) near Hilton Head Is, SC that was bow hunting only, only hunted 2 weeks a season and always had lots of hunters. We hunted a savanna area that most folks thought was too open to hunt in. When in the stand I could see trails all over that area and the deer preferred it because the other hunters were in the thick stuff. ;D   While on stand,  I could watch my friends on HWY 278 going to work on HHI.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

cooksomerice

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 05:26:50 pm »
I would always rather a clean miss than to know I made a poor shot and will likely not recover my animal.  I can live with a miss.  I can not live with a mistake.  Good luck.  Remember, anyone that hasn't missed has not shot much.