Author Topic: Heat box question  (Read 6489 times)

Silversmith

Heat box question
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:39:51 pm »
First some introduction: I am new to the boards.  I have never built a bow.  I have only very rarely shot a bow.  I came across this hobby a few weeks ago and am interested in building.  I have seen some great build-alongs on here and other sites.

All of the laminate build-alongs, and many of the stick build-alongs seem to use a heat box that requires incandescent bulbs

As of 2012 the incandescent bulb is being taken off the market.  Has anyone here seen or built a heat box without using incandescent bulbs?

Offline sailordad

Re: Heat box question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:18:45 pm »
really there taking my bulbs from me know too.
damn whats next,my wood shafts for making arrows   lol

well i have one with bulbs,but i suppose one could use a small electric space heaer instead.
you would definatly need a thermostat of some sort hooked up then though.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:39:09 pm »
I dont think incandescent bulbs are being banned. Take a look at this. Not sure if the new ones will put out enough heat for a hot box though. Guess we might have to stock up on bulbs :) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/06/business/energy-environment/06bulbs.html
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:39:10 pm »
I wonder if there is another heat source that screws into a light socket?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:16:12 pm »
I have a heat box I built about 18 years ago, It has a limit switch with 180 degree capability. It runs 4- 200 watt incandescent bulbs. If I am using epoxy, it usually takes a bout 4 to 6 hours to cook... I am a engineer for a hotel, we use ballast curly tail bulbs. Don't kid yourself you can burn your fingers on them too. However . there still is Heat lamp bulbs 125 watts and  up, one could use. A simple stove pipe, with a heat gun does the job too. It would need to be open at both ends, or the heat gun probably would shut down. That is if it is of good quality. I wouldn't walk away too long with out some type of limit switch. I like the Idea of a small quartz heater, they usaully have a built in limit. Anyway , What is your reason for the box anyway. Unless you are going to glue up fiberglass, You wouldn't need anything that drastic, I wouldn't think? I use space heaters , heat guns  and Water pot steam boiling for the tough ones.Good luck hope this helped. Denny

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:37 pm »
I wouldn't lose any sleep over regular bulbs being banned.  Just in case I'll stock up now while prices are cheap and make a killing on all who own hotboxes and don't have any bulbs.  I can see it now..... A matched pair of copperhead skins for 3 60W bulbs.  Man I can't wait for 2012 ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:12:31 pm »
I wouldn't lose any sleep over regular bulbs being banned.  Just in case I'll stock up now while prices are cheap and make a killing on all who own hotboxes and don't have any bulbs.  I can see it now..... A matched pair of copperhead skins for 3 60W bulbs.  Man I can't wait for 2012 ;D
[/quo :D :Dte]
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Ian Schmidt

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:46:15 am »
I know that this is an old thread but to answer pat's question and lighten everyone else's fears you will still be able to buy the heat lamps that are used for pets like reptiles. i don't know their specifics but i would have to guess that they are 60w and would probably be more energy efficient than incandescents seeing as how they are actually designed to provide heat.
"Call them wheels, or call them cams. I don't care. All I know is that the only wheels that should be killing deer are like the ones on my truck."

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:56:05 am »
 buddy of mine made his with a food dehydrator in the bottom for a heat source and air circulator.

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 04:33:49 pm »
A "Peet" boot dryer should work. It has the heat source, and the fan. just run a length of dryer hose to your dryer box. Don't know if it would get hot enough for some work, but for drying staves it should work fine.
I have even used black pipe layed out  in the sun. just slip the stave inside and wait. I stuck a low speed solar fan on one end of mine to create some air flow, but I realy don't think the fan is necessary.
keep it simple
make it fun