Author Topic: HBI combo in humid climates  (Read 2109 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
HBI combo in humid climates
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:05:23 pm »
I understand that Hickory picks up water and becomes sluggish as a self-bow in humid climates, however, would this be a problem if it was a backing for Ipe which does well in humid climates?

Thanks,
Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: HBI combo in humid climates
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:53:47 pm »
Hickory backing on Ipe does well..  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:17:47 pm »
I've never notices much or any adverse effects of moisture on hickory backings. A backing strip is very thin and if well sealed shouldn't take on enough moisture to effect it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fundin

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:37:02 am »
Wood is usually stronger in tension when wet, the problem is that the compression strength is more affected. As Ipe seems to deal well with higher mc, I would suspect that the only disadvantages of a HBI in humid climates is a slight increase of weight, but that should be almost negligable, and a very small decrease in compression strength of Ipé, wich still is very strong, som my guess is that you should be fine with this combination.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:14:54 am »
Thanks y'all for assuaging my concerns.  Onward!
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:25:26 am »
Just finished tillering one and been shooting it.  It's doing great.  I'm going to finish the details and post it soon.  The humidity is still high in SW Florida and this bow has been hanging out in my garage all the time.  I made it 64" and over built it some for durability.  Wanted a consistent future high humidity bow.  It bends slightly through handle which is narrowed by about 1/4 inch from limbs at 11/4 that taper to 3/8 tips.  Without any reflexing or heat treating it has taken less than 1/2 inch of string follow after it settles back from shooting.  I've made others faster but this one will be a workhorse for hot weather hunting.  Pics soon.
Go for it, it is a good reliable combination.
1’—>1’