Author Topic: Poisoning arrows?  (Read 13889 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Poisoning arrows?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 04:54:47 pm »

Dakotian, not the black eyed susan flower.  This a vine that grows down here, (Florida) and it has little seed pods, with small field pea shaped seeds, that are bright red, with a bright black end cap on one end.  I don't the castor bean grows in your area either.  It was once a weed that grew all over the place down here.  Has a elongated seed, graysih, brown, in a spiny seed pod.  Some of the poisonous plants, the poison is more concentrated in the roots.  Yeah, the Hemlock is nasty stuff, and not a pleasant death.  The ricin has no antidote.  They were supposedly working on one, but never heard anymore about it.  Also the oleander, has a toxin, called digitalis, and it is used as a heart medicine, but large enough quantities, can be fatal.  Even getting the sap on your hands, can cause palpitations, tachycardia, and irregular rhythms.  Always wear gloves when cutting, or messing with that plant.  Or any plant as far as that goes.   ;)

Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 05:36:58 pm »
Deer could possibly eat hemlock without ill effects. I've seen them eat mushrooms that would kill me and they eat poison ivy, would you?.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 09:40:13 am »
huh. there are alot more poisons in North America than i thought.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 11:49:34 pm »
 Now,,,, Here's another thought;  Why not learn tracking skills, blood trailing, and shot placement. The recovery rate would probally be better.

The large game in Africa that were shot with drugged points still took days of tracking before they fell over. And they didn't drop dead in the parking lot of Wal-Mart with an arrow stuck in it.  ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 12:20:17 am »
Well  the  study  of  poisons is  an  old  one,  there are  many  uses,  in  fact the  study  of  all  medicinals  is  also  a study  of  poisons  because  what can make  you  well  can also  poison  you,  it's a  matter  of  dosage and administration, I  abhhor  all  the  censorship  and restrictions we see  in  our  society,  this  is a  very  useful  subject  and  you cannot  study  the  art  of  poisons  without studying  health,  they  are  2  sides  to  the  same  coin,  and  as  survivalists,  as  we  are  on this forum it  is  very  relevant:)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 11:56:10 pm »
Well it's a good thing I'm not hunting larg game in Africa...next to a Walmart. I would consider my expirments a success if I could kill a bunny or a squirrel with a poisoned dart, that's all I've ever been able to effectively kill with traditonal equipment anyway. Not to mention it makes a very interessting answer to the question "So what have you been up to lately?" And I reckon there are very few people who on this forum who wouldn't want to try this just for the sake of tring it.

Pat, I'm sure deer are indeed able to eat such things, but I'm so sure they didn't have their regrets afterwards.

banoch

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 10:52:32 am »
Very interesting AND disturbing all at the same time  ;). How would you know if it was the dart/arrow or the poison that caused death?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 12:27:13 pm »
Keep in mind that it is very illegal to hunt with poisoned arrows. A squirrel that you can easily kill without poison isn't worth going to jail over. Plus, what happens when you accidentally poke yourself with one of your arrows?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline smokeu

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 01:07:32 pm »
I got my eyes checked the other day and while waiting i picked up the magazine (Cowboys and Indians)  they had an article with some excerts from old publications about NA's poisoning arrows with stuff like yucca plants and such... Mostly a quite silly article. I guess whoevever wrote the article didnt know that yucca is not harmful. Interesting what people thought was factual back then.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 01:27:35 pm »
If you drink too much tequilla yucca can be poisonous!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 01:32:05 pm »
 you can build up a tolerance for it, Pat. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 01:44:01 pm »
Just  don't  mention  any  names, and  never  admit to  anything,  and  you  should  be  fine:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 01:45:06 pm »
I guess "too much" is a relative statment but I have exceeded my poison limit a few times...but not lately!  ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 04:27:49 pm »
Apparently the symptoms of yucca poisoning include waking up in trailer parks...;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 04:28:53 pm »
Do you know that for a fact? ::)