Author Topic: Source of Red Osier/Dogwood Shaft Bundles.  (Read 4009 times)

brokenbow

Source of Red Osier/Dogwood Shaft Bundles.
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:40:48 pm »
Does anyone know where I can purchase raw red osier/dogwood shaft bundles? 

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Source of Red Osier/Dogwood Shaft Bundles.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:01:22 pm »
You might try to look up stream restoration companies. They use red osier fir live staking and wattles (bundles) for controlling erosion on stream banks.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:51:33 pm »
Why buy them ??? Go cut them if their not native to your area find some other species of dogwood their all basically the same.
If I had the time I would go cut ya some but its hunting season ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

brokenbow

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:17:21 pm »
They are native to this area, but we've already got snow on the ground and the leaves have fallen, so I can't identify trees/shrubs.  Plus, I don't know where they grow around here.  Otherwise, I would harvest them myself. 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:34:12 pm »
Rd Osier grows in marshy areas and their easy to ID as the bark is red :) I prefer to cut them in winter/spring as its easier to
see the good straight shafts when theres no leaves
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

brokenbow

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:43:41 pm »
Is the bark still red in the winter?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 01:47:37 pm »
Now is the time to search for and cut red osier because, like Dana said, the red bark shows up well...and especially with a snowy background.  ;)
  The bark on red osier is red the first 2 years of growth. after that it begins to turn a reddish brown or reddish gray color. You want to cut second year growth for arrows. The first year the shoot grows it will have leaves along it. The second year it will have small branches where last years leaf scars are.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

brokenbow

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:54:51 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I would still like to know where I can purchase bundles in case I can't find any though.  At least I might be able to find it locally now.....a lot of walking and maybe some snowshoes ;D.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 01:56:05 pm »
Check out Pine Hollow and see if they might have some. They are a sponsor here on PA.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

brokenbow

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:40:43 pm »
I checked Pine Hollow and all they carried was cane, and they were out of that. :(

The search continues.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 11:23:56 pm »
this is the time of year to go collect it
i am making plans for going in the next couple of weeks,i have my eye on a whole new bog thats filled with it.
hope the land owner doesnt know its value >:D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd