Author Topic: Looking for a bow and new to the whole English Warbow/Longbow  (Read 5436 times)

Urshag

Looking for a bow and new to the whole English Warbow/Longbow
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:26:23 pm »
I'm getting back into the SCA after a long absence and I've decided to go as traditional as my budget will allow.

I have tendonitis in my wrists so going with a true war-bow with their typically heavy draw weights is not really feasible.

What I would like to get is a something that shoots well, and has the appearance of a war-bow (would like to get something with a round or D shaped cross section not flat) with a draw weight of about 35 to 40 lbs.  ( I can handle that, my current recurve is 40# at 28 inches.)

Sadly this would not be a problem if money was not a concern.  I've seen lots of great bows out there on the net for around $250 plus.  I wish I could afford something like that, but my budget for this is around $100.00 or less.

I've done a lot of looking around and I've seen this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250487761625&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And some linen backed bows such as:

http://www.woodlandarchery.com/prod15.htm

and:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/SCA-Medieval+Bows++Medieval+War+Bow+English+Longbow_c53_s170_p0_i8550-1_product.html

I'm not sure if any of these are my best bet, and I'm hoping that you guys can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading!

Dennis

skerm

Re: Looking for a bow and new to the whole English Warbow/Longbow
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:26:23 am »
The middle one looks tolerable, but it does not have horn nocks. The one on eBay is awful and the other one is also not quite a beauty.
I would be ashamed to offer any of these bows as english longbows. Did you browse this forum for bow pictures?

Have you considered making your own bow?

Daniel

Offline Jaro

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:50:35 am »
35# bow is almost 3X less in terms of what we find today acceptable as median strenght of late medieval weapon. Hence it probably does not belong here. If you ever want to wrok yourself up to stronger bows I suggest you to make or buy self nocked ash full bend, well rounded ash bow of some 65# and start to excersise long draw with dynamic movement of both arms and with final position somehow "in the bow" rather than " behind the bow" (as sport archers do). Imho, you cannot learn to shoot heavy bow with very light bow, because the weight itself will eventually force you into desired technique, unless you are strong as ox and equally stupid. On the other hand trying to apply with 35# bow to heavy bow is asking for trouble and recipe for damaged shoulders.
75# for starters will be better and any grown man, which is not ill or too old can manage that with correct draw technique without much problems. It is still debatable from what strenght longbow should be considered purelly tool of war, but then man has to look at context in which heavy hunting bow, suitable for deer, probably selfnocked and around 75# must have been the weapon of 1300´, but everything suggest that at crecy it was already much more powerfull weapon  and one almost twice as strong at 1500´ .

J.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 12:15:24 pm »
I would suggest you should save your money for a while, and purchase a decent bow. You're only going to get junk for $100. Also, keep in mind that the bow is really only the tip of the iceberg. You'll need a dozen arrows (usually $100+ per dozen), a bracer, a glove, etc. Either you make it yourself, or you'll need a bit more than $100 for a bow.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 05:05:49 am »
If you have things to trade you could try that on the Trade page??
You may have something someone really wants and they may have a bow????
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Urshag

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 01:45:45 pm »
If you have things to trade you could try that on the Trade page??
You may have something someone really wants and they may have a bow????

I'll give that a shot, I have a Flip Mino Camcorder that's practically brand new, maybe someone would be willing to swap.

Rod

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:41:37 am »
It would pay in the long run to start making your own.

Rod..

Offline yazoo

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 04:53:46 pm »
I agree cut a tree where you live and make a bow,,,I had never heard of woodland archery, funny no name is mentioned, and for someone who lives in kansas and does not have osage as there prefered bow wood very strange
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far