Author Topic: Sources of Wood  (Read 2256 times)

Offline zeNBowyer

Sources of Wood
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:53:30 am »
Decided to  buy  some  various staves  and  hardwood  for  future  projects  in  case  the  supply  and  access starts to  dwindle  in  the  future,  wondering  where  you  guys  get  your   wood, I'm  sure  going to  the retail  lumber  yards  is  probably  the  pricer  place  to  go,  just  wondering  where  some  of  you  scrounge your  wood:)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Sources of Wood
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:56:00 am »
I am lucky enough to be able to cut my own, In my little part of the world there is plenty to cut
and no one minds. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:41:51 am »
I put the word out to everyone I know that I'm always looking for hardwood logs, turkey wings, goose wings or whatever
and surprisingly enough every once in awhile someone will drop me something off. Check with tree removal/ trimming companies
to see if you can work something out with them, ask friends that own land if they will let you harvest a tree or two but by all means be persistant
and always on the lookout. I like free wood as much as I like free beer ;D ;D ;D

Signed  "Da Wood Whore"   ;D ;D ;D  Ya had to be there eh ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 08:07:57 am »
Good advice Dana that's about my M.O. I have even offered to cut problem trees off folks property and got payed to cut bow wood.
Ron.
P.S. Yep you had to be there. Dana catches a lot of ribbin but he's like a spongs he can take it as well as dish it out.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:58:10 am »
go at night, where black clothes, and move real fast!  >:D

i dont know. i aint a bowyer. i jist shoot what other people have the tallent to make.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:18:10 pm »
I have to buy my ipe as well as all my exotic woods.  I cut my osage, hackberry, juniper, mesquite, and elm here at home.  Id love to find some where to cut bamboo.  Just havent found a place, so I have to buy bamboo as well.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:20:30 pm »
I am lucky to live among the osage.  I try to cut trees that have fallen over, and leave the living ones alone.  Here is a nice tree that blew over this past year.  That is my 10 year old son standing on it. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left