Author Topic: Update on Missouri hunt...  (Read 2659 times)

Offline billy

Update on Missouri hunt...
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:36:45 am »
HEy everyone. 

I've been hunting hard since I got up here, but have been having a real tough time being successful.  The first evening I sat in a Double Bull hunting blind with my dad.  The blind had been set up the night before on a travel route, and 8 deer came in, but they immediately noticed the new addition (the blind) and got spooked and ran off.  So the next evening I sat in a drainage ditch that was about 45 yards from the blind.  Well, that evening 3 does came by.  It was windy, so they were on high alert.  When the nearest deer presented me with a shot, I drew back, aiming at the spot just above her left elbow.  But as I reached full draw,  I lost my focus.  My "spot" suddenly melted away.  When I released the doe spun away from me and my stone tipped arrow hit her in the neck. She ran about 20 yards, and then stopped.  She was sitting in some thick brush, just looking around as though nothing were wrong.  I watched her for about 8 minutes, when she finally just turned and walked away.  I couldn't believe it.  The arrow was sticking out on both sides of her neck, and I couldn't believe I didn't sever a major artery.  But I didn't.  I let her walk away and left her overnight.  I looked for her all over the next morning, but there was nothing.  No blood, no sign of her anywhere.  I was absolutely sick. 

So I let that spot cool off for a few days.  I didn't get any opportunities, so after several days I returned to the Double Bull blind in the morning.  At 7:30 two yearlings came in.  They were staring at the blind and stomping....they were still very spooked but they soon calmed down.  They slowly fed my way, but when they got to the front of the blind they got spooked, turned 90 degrees and started walking away.  One gave me a quartering away shot at about 25 feet, so I drew back and sent a quartz tipped arrow right over her back.  They both took off.

I haven't had any shot opportunities since.  I've been pretty damn frustrated lately, but I'm not giving up.  Gonna try again in the morning....I'll keep ya'll posted.

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Update on Missouri hunt...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 08:33:35 am »
Sounds like you are having fun,I have had the same thing happen with blinds,turkeys don't seem to mind but the deer do. The neck can be an awesome hit with an arrow and it can also not be.Lots
of nothing but meat up there.Sorry for the bad luck,hope it gets better. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:28:10 am »
Sounds like you are having a rough time Billy. I hate it when the wind blows when I am hunting. Actually, always hate the wind, but even more when I am hunting.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

rockhound34

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:01:05 pm »
What county are you hunting in?

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:19:17 am »
I was in extreme NE missouri in Scotland county
Marietta, Georgia