Author Topic: "BUCK FEVER"  (Read 6850 times)

Offline boo

"BUCK FEVER"
« on: September 20, 2009, 01:28:26 am »
I couldn't believe it. ive shot well over a hundred deer and 55 of them with a bow. I haven't had buck fever in twenty years. But this evening a small eight pointer ( a glorafide six point with 1 inch browtines) came in on me and i had buck fever so bad  he spooked because the arrow was bouncing on the shelf. It was the worst case Ive ever seen and it took me ten minutes to settle down. This is my first year hunting with 100 percent primitive equipment, plus Ive never shot a deer with a self bow so i figure that's the reason. Plus i was on the ground, using the selfbow Nugget made me and some flint heads Billy made for me on some self arrows i made. The buck was walking straight to me and didn't offer a shot till he was TEN YRDS, man was that a blast.All i can say is, im tickled to death to have the passion and desire back. For the last few years ive let numerous deer walk and only shot a few for meat because i didn't have the desire to shoot one unless it was a bigun. Killing deer was just work in my mind. But sense ive switched back to primitive, any deer is a trophy, its like starting all over again. It doesn't matter to me that i didnt shoot him, i still feel like i just shot a world record. Thanks TJ for lighting this fire again and making this possible.
Boo

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: "BUCK FEVER"
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:30:48 am »
Man I wish I could have been there. That must have been exciting. Awesome day of hunting in my book.
You are welcome boo. If it were not for your influence I would not be doing all this anyways.
TJ
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:31:40 am by nugget »
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:24:43 am »
yea been there but if you loose that buck fever and excitment whats the drive, passion, and desire to get out there. so in my book even if you didnt get to eat him you still had one helluva day, glad you sharred it with us.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:44:16 am »
A successful hunt in my eyes.  Congratulations Bobby. Welcome back! 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline boo

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:48:38 pm »
OH for sure my most successful hunt in a few years. I even went and made another ground blind today. Woodstick, you are exactly write bro, and to tell the truth i had lost it the last four or five years. Feels good to have that drive again. Thanks
Boo

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:58:26 am »
HEy Boo I know what you mean.  I get buck fever when a squirrel comes within range!  It's a hell of a rush dude, but it can be self defeating.  Because my shot opportunities are so few and far between with my primitive stuff, I tend to put too much pressure on myself and that messes me up.  And unless you live in an unusually game rich area, you're never able to become accustomed to the rush of adrenaline when game comes close to such a degree that you can control it.  I've found that regular practice, especially right before I go hunting, helps to calm my nerves when the shot presents itself.  Not sure why that is, but perhaps it's the confidence that keeps you calm.  When I haven't practiced and then I go hunting, if a deer shows up I just fall apart!  But man is it fun!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:13:49 pm »
I know that thinkin you need to kill a deer to have a successful hunt can sure take alot of enjoyment out of the hunt,ya forget about the enjoyment of wachtin the woods wake up.There is a world of things to see out there at sun rise.
Now is the good old days

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:17:53 pm »
...and sunset!   The adrenaline is the icing on the cake. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline boo

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:21:34 pm »
Hey Billy, yep i put to much pressure on my self also. Seems like when the opportunity presents itself when ever i have my primitive gear i go all to crap. I guess i want it to bad.  My problem over the years has been every time i dont feel confident in my primitive gear, ill just grab the old arrow rifle and go kill some deer. But not this time, Im going to use my selfbow religiously from now on. I figure the more i use it the more opportunities ill have. PLus im having a blast hunting on the ground. I fill more like a hunter also. Good luck to ya, Bobby
Boo

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 10:36:28 am »
iam 39 last month and in the last 5 6 years i changed. i use to play the numbers game when i hunted with, yes iam gona say a compound bow. it was alot of stress to keep up with everybody or kill the big buck. and now if i just go set in a tree or ground and see deer, tree rats, rabbits, cats coydogs, or just the trees, sun clouds, whatever it is a great day. i pass on deer sometime dont mean i would get them but dont even take a shot cause now i dont have to kill a deer to get that buck fever, rush, allmost better than sex felling. i said allmost. i just luv and thank the lord iam able to walk out there and n-joy what he has given to all of us.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:39:21 am »
that's funny boo. glad u r enjoyin it.
havnt been out yet this year but will be here shortly this weekend. and cant wait. didnt get much huntin in last year and im itchin BAD.
later
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline boo

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 10:56:09 pm »
Good luck to ya Wade, let us know how ya did.
Boo

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:30:04 pm »
just hope I dont get buck fever and fall off my stand.
But like you said... its all about the hunt... the rest is just bonus.
later
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 09:17:28 pm »
Amen to that Boo! Our season here in Texas starts oct. 3rd,and I can't wait. ;D .Good huntin' to you.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 06:54:07 am »
Been there and done that,I still get the excitement when one is coming in,Big or Little, if I loose
that I will probably stop hunting.I have over the years learned to control it pretty good until after the shot,then I fall apart and have to set down for a while till the shakes stop. Good hunt you had in my book. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good