Author Topic: Rubs,kind of early  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Rubs,kind of early
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:40:43 am »
Went out Sat. to check a couple of my stands and food plots and ran across this about 12 yards
from one of them.It is in a little finger of woods just below a corn fields and the creek.I usually don't find these kind of rubs this early. :) Also a couple of shot of some of my food plots,they have done better this year than I ever remember,guess it is all the rain. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

Re: Rubs,kind of early
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:05:39 am »
Pappy same thing here in Mo. We found a rub line 2 weeks ago on some very big trees.First time I've ever found big fubs so early... Not to mention already in a good noticable line! Not sure what that means,guess one needs to be very aware this year and see what it might mean? ??? I'm betting on an earlier rut,with colder weather.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 08:12:49 am »
I always find rubs here and there this time of the year here. They have to get the velvet off their antlers some how. Not usualy what I would consider rub lines though usualy. I even see a few scrapes early before the season starts here usualy. They almost never come back to them, but its a good indication there's a buck in the area.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:01:21 am »
I find a lot here also early,but on bushes ,not trees. :) I usually don't hunt rub lines anyway
never had much luck with it ,but it is good to see some good rubs close to a stand that has already been there and not just put up because of it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:04:07 am »
As soon as the testosterone starts pumping the velvet loosens from the antlers and the prerut begins. Generally I believe that is brought on by the photo period(day light length) Many of the rubs are exercise pole used to prepare(build up neck muscles) for fighting or mock fighting. Generally we will see a few rubs but they are on pencil size saplings. Occasionally we would see scrapes also but I believe many of them are present or are made all year long as scenting markers/ID markers.
  I have never had any luck hunting rub lines unless they are along regular travel routes. I've only shot one deer over a scrape and it was a yearling that sneaked in at the wrong time for him.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline boo

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 11:48:44 am »
When the family and i went to visit dad a couple weeks ago, we went on a hike in croft state park saturday evening. We found a scrape line with fresh grooves from the hooves in the scrape and plenty of nice rubs. This is in the north west corner of south carolina. Yesterday here in the north west of north carolina we seen bucks with the velvet on and off. Also there is a nice wrist size tree near one of my ground blinds that is rubbed real good. It does seem a little early for the big rubs but the weather has been way different this year also. Who knows? seems every year is different in one way or another.
Boo