Author Topic: Strings, arrows and nocks... help!  (Read 2645 times)

kitetsu

Strings, arrows and nocks... help!
« on: September 22, 2009, 01:37:07 pm »
I'm getting a bit lost in choosing the ideal string, nock and arrow.

Right now I have my 40# bundle bow done and ready for action... but the big obstacle is that the test arrow I shoot either fall on my arms (not stab my arms... that'd hurt), or fall off to my feet (ditto).

The test arrow is comprised of a 30" tasmanian oak dowel that's about 6mm thick in diameter iirc (been told oak is too heavy, so I bought clear radiata pine dowels, 3 6mms and 2 9mms). The "arrowhead" is a battered wooden point formerly filed with utmost care, and the vanes are made out of playing cards half-layered with duct tape. The nock, which I believe is one of the biggest culprits in the failing shots, is about 4mm thick and 6mm deep, filed down with a 4mm circular file. I admit I do not have a hacksaw with 2 more blades taped together or some other decent alternative, and I can't afford to buy them right now. As for the string, it's a 4mm polyethelyne rope with bowline knots. It didn't look like it stretched unlike the polypropylene string I tried that stretched like hell.

I was too busy trying to make the bundle bow, so I only made the arrows from what little I know.

- Is there an ideal thickness to a bowstring? Does having a bowstring be too thick decrease the power of the bow?

- Should I carve a deeper nock than just deep enough for the string to fit snugly? Are there better nock shapes than the U-shape I made?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.