Author Topic: new bow idea  (Read 3114 times)

Offline larze_fat

new bow idea
« on: September 22, 2009, 04:42:37 pm »
Hello everybodythis is my first bow attempt I'm going to make it out of cherry and I am going to back it with hickory.
Some specifics of the bow is it is 70 inches tip to tip. It is an 1 1/4 at the handle section. The limbs start out at 1 3/4 and tapper to 1/2 at the tips.
If you see or know anything that I should change about my plan I would like to here them.

I also have the hickory down to 3/8 of an inch thick and I'm wondering if I should make it a even 1/4 inch.

Thank you for your help.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: new bow idea
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 04:47:53 pm »
I backed a maple ELB with a 1/4" thick hickory and it jumped from 35 lbs to 62 lbs draw.  I subsequently took it down to just under 1/8" inch fearing that the maple would not take the compression.  I have it at a comfortable 40 lbs now (it's for a young lady that dallies with the medievel re-enactor crowd, she isn't into hunting....YET). 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:50:19 pm »
the  backing should be more like 1/8 thick

Dave

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:05:54 pm »
Definitely thin that hickory down to at least 1/8" or a bit less if you want the cherry to survive and/or exist. A 3/8" piece of hickory at those dimensions will just about make a 50# bow by itself. Hick-backed cherry is a pretty tough combo to start out with, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:58:23 pm »
With a hickory backing of more than 1/8", cherry will chrysall FOR SURE. With hick/cherry... keep it wide, long and light, with perfect tiller.

Offline larze_fat

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:10:06 pm »
OK plain the hickory down to an 1/8 inch at the minemum. Did you see any problems with the plans for the bow?

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:26:22 am »
If the hickory is thinned down, you should be o.k. Never pull it past intended draw weight, and I wouldn't try for a heavier weight bow. Take your time on tillering.

Offline larze_fat

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:21:43 am »
I was thinking of a 45- 55 pounds do you think that is to much?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:11 pm »
If the hickory is thinned down, you should be o.k. Never pull it past intended draw weight, and I wouldn't try for a heavier weight bow. Take your time on tillering.

All I can add to that bit of nugget of pure gold wisdom is to never pull past the draw length either.  Hope that saves you some broken wood/dreams.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 04:33:43 pm »
I agree with the thikness of the hickory 1/8th is what I would use.  Since this is your first bow, take your time and take extra care whit the cherry.  I love, and hate cherry.  Everything can be going great and blam.  Cherry has lots of hidden knots and void places. 

Good luck.

Offline shamus

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:44:19 pm »
1/8th of an inch is ideal for hickory backing.

I'd worry that maybe the hickory would overpower the cherry?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:35 pm »
as shamus says    the hickory  will overpower the cherry    definatly yeas that goes for ceader  also   if you are set on cherry  id go wider than ur looking for  per your spec s   and id shoot for a low poundage bow with the cherry  most of em will blow if over 50 #  cherry chrystals too easey  i definatly wouldtn use anything over 1 /8 for backin   good luck  brock