Author Topic: One of my current projects...new pics added  (Read 3458 times)

Offline KShip85

One of my current projects...new pics added
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:15:39 am »
Ok everyone, I am giving another go on a bow...It is loosely based on a west coast indian bow from tbb vol 1.  It is ERC, 49 inches nock to nock and 2 5/8 inches wide at the fades for about 12 inches tapering to a 3/4 inch shelf for the nocks.  There was a natural deflex in one of the limbs and the other limb had a slight twist.  I tried to steam out the twist and ended up getting a crack which made me lose about 8 inches on the length of the bow.  Cutting out the cracked part removed most of the twist but the deflex is still there.  I am wondering if I should use dry heat to get out the deflex, deflex the other side to match or just leave it as is and try to tiller.  I am hoping to hit 45 or 50 lbs.  I am hoping to leave it unbacked but if I must will back it with rawhide, sinew, or a cloth of some kind.  I really want to avoid blowing this thing because I think she will be pretty if she holds, thanks for the help.

Kip

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:25:44 am by KShip85 »
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: One of my current projects...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:20:01 am »
Looks like a perfect candidate for a sinew backing. I have a 49" ERC I've shaped that I am going to sinew...when I get around to it. ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:52:00 am »
Thanks Pat, what do you think about the deflex???  Should I just let it go or try to take one of the limbs one way or the other???

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 05:28:07 am »
Pretty bow,dose the string line up with that hook in one limb ?  :) How dose it shoot ? I
love the color contras.ERC make a beautiful bow,I haven't had much luck with it but it has been a long time since I tried it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:39:59 am »
Thanks Pappy, I'm really starting to fall in love with ERC, I have a few pieces drying in the garage right now and am looking forward to working with them.  I don't have her tillered to shoot just yet as I am trying to figure out just what I want to do backing wise and if I am going to do anything with that deflex.  One of my main concerns with the deflex was the possibility of the string slipping off but I do not know if the angle will be that intense and I have a timber hitch on that limb hoping it would help in that department.  Do you think about 25 inch or so is ok on the the draw?  Right now I've got her bending to about 12 or so and she is still pretty stout.  Thanks for all the help.

Kip

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:33:03 am »
The bow looks great, 49" is kinda short for a rigid handle specially if ya want to draw it to 25", the string angle will be too great I think, sides it will stack so badly you might not be able to draw it. ::)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline KShip85

Re: One of my current projects...some new pics
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:24:51 am »
Alright, well I've got her bending a little now and am not real sure how much more I could get out of her.  Right now she is 40 # at 19 inches.  I've got one coat of tung oil on but want to wait to finally finish until I am sure I am done scraping.  I left the natural deflex in the one limb and just tried to get it looking pretty even at full draw, She seems to shoot pretty zippy but I cannot hit the broad side of a barn, getting used to this short draw.  Also, what does everyone think for the handle, I like the way the wood looks the way it is but also don't particularly care for the sound of arrow scraping wood.  Thanks for all the help guys, I think I might be close to having a functional weapon, just need lots of practice with it!!

Kip

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: One of my current projects...new pics added
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 05:51:31 am »
It's got bags of character.
Re, the handle:- It looks atad long to me, on such a short bow I'd expect the lower edge of your hand to be almost off the handle...just what I'd expect...no historical justification...purely my opinion...(but you did ask)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 07:38:45 am »
String angle is almost 90 degrees at 19" so I would'nt pull her anymore. Call her done
and enjoy her :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline KShip85

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 10:59:19 am »
Thanks guys, I'll just keep her as is and work on learning to hit something.  The handle probably is a little long, I have the bad habit of doing that.  Even with my hands size I could get away with something smaller.  I am really just happy to have a functional bow and one of erc makes me even happier.  I really do love this stuff, hard to beat for beauty IMO.  I'm glad I got away without backing her too, although my next short erc I will most likely back with sinew.  Thanks again all.

Kip

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:11:54 am »
Good bow for hunting those riparian whitetails. Its a keeper, I'd say.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday