Author Topic: My first Longbow Arrow!  (Read 7843 times)

Harudath

My first Longbow Arrow!
« on: September 19, 2009, 05:11:08 pm »
Hi guys,

I've made arrows before, but never a Longbow one. I even splashed out on a bodkin  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf4Hw3MqCEQ

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: My first Longbow Arrow!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:43:06 pm »
Like  those  tips,  are those  3Rivers  or  home  made?
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Harudath

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:45:03 pm »
I got it from ebay :p I was on an ebay spree at the time xD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl?ViewItem&item=30348072465&sPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Though I realise now I paid much more than I need have done :p
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:37:43 am by Pat B »

Rod

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:36:24 am »
Nice work. Though that ebay point looks a little flat for a long bodkin.
Good effort on the shaftment binding.

Rod.

Harudath

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:27:29 pm »
Thanks  :D

I'm thinking about (after some practice) opening an online arrow shop; would anyone be interested in such things? What would you guys be willing to pay for a dozen arrows like that with field points, and then with bodkins? There would be other choices available of course, though I understand that a fair few here make their own arrows :p

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »
I think it would probably be a good idea if you re-enforced the self nock on those arrows, especially if they're going to be shot out of heavy bows.

Harudath

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:44:37 pm »
I definitely would; that one was just for display really as the arrowhead was more for display purposes than use, afaik. For heavier bows I would reinforce the nocks with horn and bind the shafts etc. I bind them with all my other arrows, but I only shoot #42 at my draw length with a Hungarian recurve bow. I want a longbow, though  >:D

I did try shooting it; it screamed fantastically through the air, wonderful noise. All my others are irritatingly silent! :p

Yewboy

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 05:44:15 am »
If you want to sell these types of arrows, can I suggest that the outside diameter of the bodkin socket and the arrow shaft are the same so you have a smooth transition between shaft and arrowhead, it would make them more desireable to people. IMHO

Harudath

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:22:55 pm »
I intended to do so :) This being my first bodkin, I stupidly overlooked the fitting size. I will most definitely be matching the shafts to the tips, and reinforcing the nocks, binding, etc, etc.

Thanks for all the feedback, any more is welcome!

Rod

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 07:28:35 am »
Thanks  :D

I'm thinking about (after some practice) opening an online arrow shop; would anyone be interested in such things? What would you guys be willing to pay for a dozen arrows like that with field points, and then with bodkins? There would be other choices available of course, though I understand that a fair few here make their own arrows :p

Should that day arrive you will be required to register as an advertiser.

Rod.

Harudath

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 12:33:17 pm »
I was just thinking about that earlier. Thanks :)

Rod

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 01:31:28 pm »
The bodkin you have is nice enough, but appears to machine turned and then ground.
This may produce a more consistent socket but if you are going for authenticity it would be better to use a hand forged head with a rolled socket, which would probably also increase the price somewhat.

Rod.

Harudath

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »
Yeah, its a machine made bodkin. Were I to open the shop, I'd give the option of bodkin (which would be a hand forged and more expensive arrow) or a standard field point.