Author Topic: Who are we?  (Read 22185 times)

Offline Newbow

Who are we?
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:40:11 pm »
Who are we?  Who are you?  Any ladies on this forum?  Are we mostly older; younger; somewhere in the middle?  Have you been knapping for a month; a year; 10 years or more?  Where are we from?  When I was talking to Craig Ratzat (Keokuk quarry) he told me he thought that eastern knappers out numbered western knappers by 100 to 1.  I think he was narrowly defining "western" as the Pacific Northwest and California, but even so, that seems like a huge difference.  He ascribed this to the ready availability of old points in the East, Midwest, South, and Southwest making for increased interest in those regions.  Not only have I never found a point here in western Washington, it's illegal to remove one if I should find it, so maybe he's right.  What do you think?  This is who I am:  Male; retired (64 in a couple weeks); exposed to knapping for several years but only really worked on it since May of this year (had laser surgery in one eye last week so don't know when I'll start knapping again because I wear glasses for close up and now the corrected eye will be different and the glasses will be wrong; last point before surgery, below.)  My goal is to attain journeyman competence as a knapper.  The points you guys (are there any gals?) are posting are inspiring and I regret that I'm this old already before I've begun my journey.

[attachment deleted by admin]

PeteDavis

Re: Who are we?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 04:24:31 pm »
Reckon I'm one of the 100. Builder, 50, Virginia, new knapper (18 months). Never too late to try a new thing. Collected all my life and watched the knappers for four years before I began the hemmorhagic process.

Happy bustin'-PD

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 04:31:13 pm »
/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:16:40 pm by Jaeger »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 06:29:05 pm »
i am a 43 year old ,ford master tech.i live in ctrl. minnesota.been knapping for about 8 months and am self taught(and you tube).
i try to make a point a day,the key there is try.i do decent considering the time and being self taught and all.
never found a point in my life,but may have found a hand scaper.someday i'll post a pic.
i started knapping only cause i wanted to learn to make primitive style arrows to go with my self bows.
now spend more time knaping than working on bows.
but love doing all that is related to this site,still gotta do the fire thing yet.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:16:33 pm »
I am 61 yrs. young an also one of the100, live in Nw Penna. found lots of heads over the yrs. in head waters of  an valleys of large rivers system, the ancients highway system. I,ve been knapping about 3 1/2 yrs. Bob

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:25:45 pm »
Hi my name is Shannon...and I'm a knappaholic ;D
 Male, 34 if I live till Oct 11.  I'm the head saw filer for a large hardwood lumber mill.
 I live in south central Kentucky and have been flintknapping 5 months.  I pressure flaked a few points from glass prior to that. But no flint and no percussion before May.
 I'm mostly self taught except for YouTube and a few much appreciated pointers from the guys on here.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 10:22:22 pm »
Tim Ott,from south central Mo. Burlinton everywhere! ;D   Self employed,Closing in on a half century of years,been beatin rocks for about 7 of those.
Here's a lil somethin I knocked out yesterday.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 10:23:41 pm »
 Man, Shannon, just 5 months... (seriously?) that is some awesome work.

I'm a little embarrassed to post how long I've been chipping rock following that. Name's Jim, 48, from central North Carolina. I own a company that does well inspections, water testing, & septic system inspections.  Been knapping off & on since '88 or so. I mostly tried (very unsuccessfully) to re-work ancient chips and flakes that I found while arrowhead hunting. A few points were even good enough to fool some of my arrowhead hunting buddies. I got some obsidian on a trip to Arizona and made some points that were the right shape, but the wrong thickness & material.  A friend gave me D.C. Waldorf's "Art of Flintknapping" (3rd edition) and I learned a little more, but didn't really improve until I watched somebody else knap.  The internet has helped me improve along with some fine people I've met along the way (especially John Crawford & Roger Warmuskerken). I have had several (unwanted) breaks in my knapping lately because of being T-boned by a drunk driver and having to recover from from two shoulder surgeries.  It took too long to regain strength to be able to knap again.  I try to help others shorten their learning curve when I can.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 11:27:10 pm »
I'm 41, live in western NC, do horticulture and GIS mapping for a local university. Been knapping for a few years, don't really remember the exact number, but long enough that I should be a lot better than I am by now. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:11:03 am »
Upper Peninsula of Michigan, otherwise known as a Yooper :) 49 years old been knapping about a year now, head operator in a sewage plant,
never found a point before and most likely never will up here >:( Only knap in the summer as its too damn cold to klnap outside in the winter here,
which lasts about 6 months, its hunting season now so no time for knapping now either, so I guess I knap only about 4 months out of the year.
Sorry no pics but I'm not real good, although I get a nice one every now and then :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 08:23:59 am »
live on the central west coast of Fla,56 yrs old as of yesterday,Work in the Utilities section of the local county.been knapping close to 3 yrs.I just returned from a vacation and will get to breaking rock as soon as I can get everything unpacked.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 01:52:25 pm »
hi there i,m 43 been nappen 5 months i live in mooresville north carolina work in plastic recylin hooked on nappen and bow building.

bryan irwin

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 09:17:09 pm »
Eastern LI NY, just started knapping  about 8 months ago.  So I don't know if I qualify as a knapper yet. ;D.  But I keep trying.
Traverse City, MI

Offline warhawk

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:21 pm »
I'm warhawk, born in Puerto Rico, raised in Chicago Ill, OK i hear all the comments. Retired US Paratrooper, live in the Sandhills of NC .I collect paleo Indian artifacts, a guy in central Texas taught me how to find them. I have about 300-400 items. My Lovely Wife found a Website call http://www.flintknappingtools.com/ and i have been knapping for about 2 years. I love knapping arrowheads and wish The tarheels could begin a local group to combine lessons learned and teach each other things.( just a wish)
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:00 pm »
 A Central Fl. Cracker. Yep, real born and raised Floridian. Started knapping after making my first bow. I wanted to learn to make all the real stuff. Then I was fortunate to meet Claude Van Order and be able to hang out with him.
  I've mostly made points to hunt with, slabbing and FOGíng to get consistant size hunting points. Then Shannon came down and I was embarrassed. So I went back to smashing rock and destroying my stash. But I have a lot of preforms made up.
  Oh yea, I'm old 56, but not as old as Pat. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?