Author Topic: Who are we?  (Read 22190 times)

Offline smokeu

Re: Who are we?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 12:07:38 am »
Michael Loe 29yrs Oilfiield. Ive been trying to knap forthe last 2 and a half yrs. Which was about the time i found my first point made of petrified wood.  I had always been intrested in the ways of the ancients, and when i found that first one I was bitten hard. I have become a student of the primitive arts and amature researcher of a people who lived before us. Particularly the Caddo who lived plentifully here in East Texas a thousand years ago. I have a small collecton of misc artifacts and points that seems to grow on its own now. I am looking forward to my first bow hunt EVER with all homemade equipment this weekend a cullmination of the last 2 or more years. I had never shot a bow till i made one. And when i can make huntable ponts I hope to use those too. I am very grateful for this site and the support and encouragement I have found here. Couldnt have done it without you all. Thank you.

Respectfully

Michael Loe
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Newbow

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 03:42:32 am »
Shannon; We share something besides knapping.  I was born on 11 Oct just 30 years before you were.  And, while on the subject, Happy Birthday Bone Pile!

Sawfiler; It just so happens I teach fire by friction.  You can't be much more than 1800 miles from here, so drop by when you have a minute - no charge.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 09:30:21 am »
Will do Buddy ;) ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline billy

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 11:27:10 am »
I'm a 35 year-old white boy honkey cracker, been knapping about 17 years.  Lived in GA most of my life, though I spent 3 of those years in Oregon. 

As a knapper I've kinda regressed a little in my knapping skill by choice.  I can make pretty, symmetrical points, but I've been making more utilitarian points.  I can make them really thin if I Want to, but I've kinda taken on the "been there, done that" approach.  Now my goal is to start knocking off critters with my points, and shooting them at any animal that will sit still long enough for a shot.  Making bows and arrows and arrowheads is easy compared to hunting with them....so that is my goal now.  And because my points will be used, I tend to not spend as much time when making them.  I'll just crunch them out, make sure the edges are sharp, and then haft them on an arrow and shoot them.  Notice I didn't say "make them pretty".  My points are intended for use, and spending additional time to make them "pretty" is just a waste of time.  So if they are sharp, I call them finished. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 04:52:56 pm »

I'm another central Florida Cracker, just east of Eddie (Mullet).  No where near as good as he is, or any of the others.  Shannon has only been knapping for a little while, and I wouldn't even begin to show him any of my knappings.  I have made a few keepers, but have a large gravel pile also.  Eddie has been gracious enough to give me a nice supply of rock.  But I haven't been knapping lately.  Still have my tools in the truck.  Took them with me to Montana, to try to knap some agate, and never found anything.  Same for the Flint river in Ga.  Anyway, I am 61, and started knapping about a little over a year ago.  Uh, let me rephrase that.  I started trying to knap, about a little over a year ago.  I would love to spend a day with Claude, just a one on one lesson day.  I would love to learn what I am doing wrong, and what I am doing right, and how get the points thinner, and how to percussion flake also.  In other words, I guess I would love to learn to knap. ;D  Found an arrow head on my uncle's dairy farm in Wisconsin, when I was about twelve or so.  Got hooked.  Would love to go to Texas sometime, and find someplace to load up on Texas chert, without getting shot at or put in jail. :o

Wayne

Offline Stoker

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 06:12:03 pm »
Leroy,46,  Bin drywalling for28yrs newbie at trying to knapp come from southern alberta.
Having a blast breaking glass looking for some good rock in this area.Mostly granite and quartzite.
It's a great site watching the points and blades come across it, learning something everyday. ;D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 08:55:44 pm »
Eddie, Boonville, NC.  39 and still kicking.  Been knapping for one year and finally figured out which end of the Ishi stick to use to beat myself over the head.  I work for the #1 home improvement retailer mostly loading trucks.  I have also been known to make a few bows, knives, arrows and just about anything paleo.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 02:34:24 am »
im one of the few in the pacific NW, been knapping for 5 months and bow building for 1.5 years now. most of the points i have made in the last 2 months i have made and sold at work, so i dont have any recent pics. this is not a good example of my normal work, i got lucky making this one.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 09:59:12 am »
wow. looks like im the baby here. im 16, live in french settlement, louisiana. knap glass cus i dont think there are actually rocks down here....jist mud. REALLY new knapper, 6 months or so.
lets just shoot it

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 12:20:17 pm »
 Jesse, Wright, Male 26 this month. Started knapping when i was 16 So about 10 years.
I live in Clarksville T.N and i am a SGT in the U.S Army.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 02:47:07 am »
   Greetings all... I`m Tim from northern IN., 51 years young & have been knapping for about 6 months. I`m a home
remodeling contractor, sometimes mechanic, & living history re-enacting entheusiast portraying a "white Injun" aka
Mountain man gone 'native".  The wife & I spend quite a few long weekends living in an "old" wall tent with friends &
aquaintances demonstrating homespun crafts & getting to know some of our flatlander visitors. 
  I am mostly self taught with a lot of time spent in front of the computer watching youtube videos & reading here &
on a couple other forums (Paleoplanet.com & Arrowheadology.com mainly) to learn the basics, then trying to find some
local stone to work with, in the meantime I`m getting pretty good at making (generally)recognizable points & blades out
of glass & Johnstone.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline Wataugan

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 06:41:55 pm »
Hello, Bob Holder from Boone, NC and 59 years old.  This is my first post on PA.  Have been flint knapping for about 18 months now.  Like a lot of others, I was an artifact collector first and flint knapper second.  I always wanted to know how the old guys made the points I was finding.  YouTube and forums like PaleoPlanet and PA are a real help new knapper looking for some instruction.  Professionally I help nonprofit organizations with fundraising.  Looking forward to making new friends on PA.  Bob
Boone, NC - Blue Ridge Mountains

Offline arappaho

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 08:33:16 pm »
Hey Folks,  Joe from Wake Forest, NC. 52 as of Oct.2. Being a window cleaner for over 30 years,
I try to promote clarity. :D Been collecting artifacts for over 30 years, but when they started
to get hard to find I decided to start hunting rocks in general as well. Not much of a hunter,
just a rockhound. Trying to get good enough at knapping to post a pic. Allthough, I must admit,
looking at what Shannon has done in half a year was enough to make me quit. ;) ;D
Joe

Offline Newbow

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 06:39:26 pm »
Thanks for all the input, fellas.  Looks like we far westerners are only outnumbered about 10 to 1.  I'm really envious of all of you younger than I am; especially Recurve Shooter.  What I'd give to start over as a teenager!  But, late is better than never, and I'll do my best to make good use of the next (I hope) 25 or 30 years.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 01:13:26 pm »
ken from southwest GA , been knappin bout five months , work in a GP papermill , former marine , 34 yrs , here's some pics so far

[attachment deleted by admin]